Worrying situation at Redmire

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
GregF
Crucian Carp

Re: Worrying situation at Redmire

Post by GregF »

If I remember correctly, there were plans to fill Longfield in and develop the site. The fish were netted and moved to Horton but the development never happened and it was eventually restocked. There are very big carp in there now. Chris Ball will have the details.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Longfield was drained - carp going to Horton where they stayed. There is a video - somewhere - showing the netting and how the bed was very similar to a moon surface.
Longfield was up for sale - possible superstore, even an alligator/crocodile farm was suggested! PP was not given for anything in the end. So eventually all 3 pits there were left with Back Lake being rented out to Allan Stone (McMillan Nurses charity) & restocked. Eventually all were sold by CEMEX. In fact 99% of all angling waters in the portfolio were sold.

Yeoveney was split into 3 parts I believe with some still being used for fishing but no idea about restocked fish.

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

Thanks to all who clarified the facts about, Longfield, Yeoveny and Cheshunt. My point was that we have already lost many historic fisheries.
Best regards
Mem

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

The Old Buffer wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:43 am It is all a bit sad as Nigel obviously had the best of intentions but has managed to cause upset to the powers that be. A simple case of his poking his nose in where it was not wanted. This is a shame as I believe he is a good and decent bloke who loves both angling and rural England.

I've never fished with anyone else with such an instinct for the essential spirit of traditional carp fishing. :Hat:

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

There is a temporary ban on all Neonicotinoids, the minister said he supports making it a permanent UK ban.
Italy if i remember correctly stopped it a while back and the insects are in recovery,and buzzing.
The Guardian online quote the minister and 38 degrees have a petition running into the hundreds of thousands.
Best wishes to the Redmire fish,get well soon.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers Kevin, that's good news, thanks for the update!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

No problem Trevor it is good news for the countryside..This pool or river or school could be anywhere in the country, rural, close to agribusiness.
Stuarts drone footage showed tram lines in the soil.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Kevin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:47 pm There is a temporary ban on all Neonicotinoids, the minister said he supports making it a permanent UK ban.
Italy if i remember correctly stopped it a while back and the insects are in recovery,and buzzing.
The Guardian online quote the minister and 38 degrees have a petition running into the hundreds of thousands.
Best wishes to the Redmire fish,get well soon.
While it seems to be pretty clear that neonicotinoids are harmful to bees I am unaware of any evidence linking them to problems with fish. These are far more likely to result from excessive use of phosphates and nitrates and from agriculture derived sediments. See: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 5jucP3P0Dy
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I found lots of evidence that Neonicotinamides affect aquatic insect life, and have a knock on effect on fish, because their levels build up to toxic amounts that kill off aquatic insects that feed on dead plant matter. Subsequently, the plant matter is broken down by bacteria instead, and this leads to anaerobic conditions. Also, there's much less insect life for the fish to feed upon, and this causes major problems for juveniles that have more specific food requirements. The information is very easy to find, just Google aquatic insects and Neonicotinamides. When these chemicals were first tested the long term build up was never considered, so the field tests on aquatic life are now thought to be flawed. They should never have been licenced!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Santiago wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:51 pm I found lots of evidence that Neonicotinamides affect aquatic insect life, and have a knock on effect on fish, because their levels build up to toxic amounts that kill off aquatic insects that feed on dead plant matter. Subsequently, the plant matter is broken down by bacteria instead, and this leads to anaerobic conditions. Also, there's much less insect life for the fish to feed upon, and this causes major problems for juveniles that have more specific food requirements. The information is very easy to find, just Google aquatic insects and Neonicotinamides. When these chemicals were first tested the long term build up was never considered, so the field tests on aquatic life are now thought to be flawed. They should never have been licenced!
I googled neonics and fish. This recent review https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4284370/ which identifies neonics as toxic to fish and birds in principle, direct effects on fish are difficult to identify '...environmental concentrations of imidacloprid and clothianidin appear to be at levels below those which will cause mortality to freshwater vertebrates, although sub-lethal effects may occur. Some recorded environmental concentrations of fipronil, however, may be sufficiently high to harm fish'. Research on the indirect effects, which are what you refer to, was described as 'there is a paucity of data, despite the potential to exert population-level effects. Our research revealed two field case studies of indirect effects' only one of which referred to fish. It seems clear, from the descriptions given, that what's causing the problems at Redmire, which is what's at issue here, is almost certainly nitrates, phosphates and agricultural derived sediments.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “Redmire Pool”