Redmire Pool

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Jardine
Perch

Re: Redmire Pool

Post by Jardine »

Good luck Skeff, you have an interesting project on your hands.
It seems you understand the problems with the over fishing, all fisheries need to have a break from angling pressure.
And it would be good to see a closed season back on Redmire.
Best regards
Mem

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Spot on Skeff, agree entirely, and Mem Redmire is closed during the close season.
Best Fishes
Mushy

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

Sorry but missed that one Mushy, how long has that been the case?
Mem

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

Skeff wrote:"The Ashmead team" Old Buffer? That means me! Not much of a team I'm afraid...
One man can make a great difference.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

JAA

Post by JAA »

Jardine wrote:Good luck Skeff, you have an interesting project on your hands.
It seems you understand the problems with the over fishing, all fisheries need to have a break from angling pressure.
Best regards
Mem
...and some might like to see a two rod per angler limit and ban on boiles and 'anti-eject' rigs. :whistle:

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

JAA wrote:
Best regards
Mem
...and some might like to see a two rod per angler limit and ban on boiles and 'anti-eject' rigs. :whistle:
Why not? Sounds good to me....

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

JAA wrote:
Best regards
Mem
Careful you will be getting lots of "its not compulsory to use three rods there" and "each to their own" posts from members.
:Hahaha:

This boils down to the same old thing,man,or the backward thinking man, cannot get his head around.
We cant go on taking more than we need.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Perhaps it needs a few years of no angling pressure to help it recover.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Never been to Redmire so I can't comment on its angling prowess or the tactics that work best but I would like to wish Skeff the very best of luck in bringing such a totem water back to its best. If I lived close enough I'd certainly offer my services and sweat. Look forward to future reports of the waters recovery.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

AndyD
Minnow

Post by AndyD »

Of course Redmire's former glory days have passed. However, these "glory days" meant that only a very select few could ever actually go the place. At least now everyone can enjoy the delights of the Pool, and it is a delightful place. It is about as far removed from a "commercial" fishery asI can imagine. I've been lucky enough to fish there on a few occasions, and I always thoroughly enjoyed myself. In fact, I'm going back there tomorrow! I hope Skeff's project will be successful, but I hope it doesn't result in a closed shop again, where only a few anglers can visit.

There are still plenty large carp in the pool (OK, maybe not the leviathans of yesteryear but large enough to bend the stoutest rod). A Redmire twenty is a marvellous thing.

As for tips, well I've caught carp stalking them on a variety of baits, but I've friends who've gone for the "bait and wait" approach and also had success. It is however, far harder than it looks and it can be very infuriating watching large carp in your swim politely ignoring your best attempts to catch them. Go, enjoy, and if you catch something it's a bonus.

Return to “Redmire Pool”