A letter from our Honorary President

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: A letter from our Honorary President

Post by Nigel Rainton »

The owners will probably need the income fishermen provide in order to finance the work. If heavy plant is involved in de-silting it may have to be closed for a while. With Skeffs experience I think it can be restored, Ashmead is surely evidence of that.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

A lovely letter from May, superb insight into how the Pool was in those days.

I don't want to hijack the thread but if, as suggested, Redmire were to be left to nature it would become a totally silted up fishless swamp ! As someone who has actually fished there recently believe me it is still on the whole very overgrown.

I firmly believe that with Skeffs input and yes plenty of hard work it can be put back on track, he is absolutely the right man for the job and has my full support, for what it's worth !
Best Fishes
Mushy

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I'm sure Skeff will do May proud.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

A lovely letter, thanks for taking the time May and wishing you all the best. :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Wow! Dear May, I am really touched that you have taken the time to write and offer your best wishes for the restoration project at Redmire. Thank you for your lovely letter! I would love to chat to you at some point about your personal memories of the pool and surroundings, as one of the aspects of the work is to restore the banks to their former glory as well as to restore and protect the pool itself. we are also planning on drawing together a "Redmire archive" of material in the possession of the Richardson family and others, related to the history of Redmire and it would be lovely to speak to you about this aspect of the work. The positive comments and support of those such as yourself and my friend Chris Yates, who knew the thrill of fishing Redmire in it's heyday, give me confidence that we will succeed in protecting the future of the pool and bringing it back to the water you knew and loved. The pool should be protected for future generations to enjoy and it is wonderful that the owners are committed to this. Kind regards. Mark

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Well said Skeff and good luck with helping to shape the next chapter of such an enigmatic pool. What a wonderful project to be involved with. :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Chris Bettis wrote:What a pleasure to read our Honorary Presidents letter! I think that Redmire simply cannot be restored and the only way of bringing it back to something of its former glory is to stop fishing there and allow nature to take over again.

A good idea.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I had a PM from May today chaps thanking you all for your kind comments.

Dear Mark

Thank you very much for posting my letter on the Forum.

Also, many thanks to my fellow members for their very kind replies.

Sincerely
May.

P.S Ed is sitting beside me, showing me what to do!
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Badger
Grayling

Post by Badger »

Wonderful. :Hat:
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Mark wrote:P.S Ed is sitting beside me, showing me what to do!
There is no doubt that if Our Honourary President was sitting beside me on the bank, 'twould be She that was showing me what to do !!!

Good health to you, Ma'am. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Redmire Pool”