Redmire Phone Wars 2016

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
The Bishop
Perch

Re: Redmire Phone Wars 2016

Post by The Bishop »

For me Redmire will always be the centre of my fishing,I used to dream of fishing there when I started fishing in the 70's,and later on I fished it, and was as enthralled with the place as I thought I would be.I truly believe that you get out of Redmire what you take to Redmire,I went looking for the ghosts of angling heros and the memories of ledgendary fish and I found both and I will go again anytime, if I get through on the phone.Yes it's not what it was but the magic is there if you look for it and I suspect it will be returned to it's former glory.

Best Fishes
Roger
Tight Lines

The Bishop

The Gods do not take from a life,the time one spends in fishing.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Exactly the point Roger; Well said. The magic is absolutely there and you get out of it what you put in. I would go there at anytime as "my" enjoyment and that is, as even a brief reflective moment would suggest, "my" point in fishing. Hope to see you there.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Redmire pool is historic and all those that understand the importance of this magical place should and hopefully walk the banks, sit and think about past captures, soak up the atmosphere and even cast a line into the mistery that it beholds . All those that couldn't give two hoots about redmire pool then great it gives a little more hope of those that do understand and maybe getting to redmire one day. I have been extremely lucky and privileged to go to redmire on several occasions. I do not go there to sit behind 4 rods all day but to set up base and take a rod to the shallows in the hope I would see a lone fish that I could cast a bait to or meet my fellow anglers on the dam with a single rod for a chat and maybe catch a few gudgeon. As evening draws in maybe I won't even cast a line but take a couple of beers to another pitch and have an evening of social chat, knowing that all my tackle is unattended no lines in the water and knowing no one is going to steal it. Waking and staring out across the lake watching the mist rise to start a brand new day and think maybe just maybe I'll catch a redmire carp today.....if not then I'll have this atmosphere with me all day and I'll gather some wood fire up the Kelly kettle and sit with a knife and carve some rod rests and catapults, read a book and take some photographs......... where else can you get that sort of tranquility?
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Loop Erimder wrote:Redmire pool is historic and all those that understand the importance of this magical place should and hopefully walk the banks, sit and think about past captures, soak up the atmosphere and even cast a line into the mistery that it beholds . All those that couldn't give two hoots about redmire pool then great it gives a little more hope of those that do understand and maybe getting to redmire one day. I have been extremely lucky and privileged to go to redmire on several occasions. I do not go there to sit behind 4 rods all day but to set up base and take a rod to the shallows in the hope I would see a lone fish that I could cast a bait to or meet my fellow anglers on the dam with a single rod for a chat and maybe catch a few gudgeon. As evening draws in maybe I won't even cast a line but take a couple of beers to another pitch and have an evening of social chat, knowing that all my tackle is unattended no lines in the water and knowing no one is going to steal it. Waking and staring out across the lake watching the mist rise to start a brand new day and think maybe just maybe I'll catch a redmire carp today.....if not then I'll have this atmosphere with me all day and I'll gather some wood fire up the Kelly kettle and sit with a knife and carve some rod rests and catapults, read a book and take some photographs......... where else can you get that sort of tranquility?
Goodness knows what you are trying to say here Loop as many of us acknowledge and understand the history and magic of Redmire as there are lots of other historic and magical waters where one can find that sort of tranquillity to inspire such empathy with Redmire - one does not have to become part of some modern day racket to feel it as it is the very essence of much of our angling. The point I would make and I think Mario is also suggesting is that whilst many of those waters may remain Redmire is over, its finished but for its existence as a legend. This, of course, has its draw but sadly for me is a testament to exploitative failure not something that should be celebrated other than as a piece of history.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

I can understand this,fair play,people spending their leisure time in historic battle re enactment societies.
Living history.
Carp Fishing.

Sport.
Venue
(a meeting place,a sports match)
Carp fishing with two rods was standard practise.
Two gives one an edge in the game.But this wasn't enough of an edge,so it went to three,then four.
Four is the gambler arbing his bets,a player bets on every possible outcome to guarantee a profit.
Winning is all,no room for chance,pure chance.
No way for things to happen that haven't been planned.
A glorious certainty.
Had any luck mate?
Shrewd player or big time loser,none of us come home with any fish.
Joga Bonito
(to play beautifully)

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

I think the fact we can even fish the place, albeit with a lot of luck and perseverance, is a great thing. During it's heyday it was a syndicate water and mere mortals had no chance. I hope to get there one day.

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

Redmire is Extant still.
To call it finished can only be incorrect. It may not hold potential record breakers today but the potential
of its future remains to change as do all still existing waters. Those that choose to fish at Redmire I would suggest do so for other reasons.
I once was able to happily fish The Cheshunt Reservoir South, the site of another past record.
Google it today you may get an image still of a drained space, It does not exist.
Instead I have since driven down a road which occupies the space which was the centre of that lake. Now a housing estate of 300+ dwellings
Surely that is what can only accurately be described as finished.
Long may such places as Redmire continue to be.
The alternative left to the "progressive" Local Councils I fear may be restricted to Leisure Centres for our future exercise.
Each to their own!
I fear we have gone off thread somewhat.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Thank you Quinnette Cane for a considered voice of balance and sense. You are absolutely spot on as I know from our previous "chats". I'll pm. You tomorrow as I think you might be interested in something I am unable currently to use but think you will..... another mystery ! Ha ! Anyway, I look forward to this time next year. I suppose the next "post" will be define "traditional". Another marvellous chestnut .....

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

In my mind I have an image of Redmire. Built from hundreds of pages and photographs. My image would be ruined by going there.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Good luck for tomorrow chaps. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Redmire Pool”