Pitches at Redmire

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
J.T
Catfish

Re: Pitches at Redmire

Post by J.T »

Along the same lines...

I've always thought it would be a good thing if much fished lakes had little half shed type things way back from each swim so you could chuck your things in it to keep out the rain and so on, you know almost like large lockers, they could even be partially hidden behind bushes/trees.

Oops!, think I’ve gone off on a mad one again there, sorry people. :think:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Thanks Chaps it's a lot clearer now. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Er, has anyone else heard this song...? Er....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbEJRaFKgls :Scared:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Gary Bills wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:21 pm Er, has anyone else heard this song...? Er....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbEJRaFKgls :Scared:
Bizarre
I recall meeting him fishing little Redmire about 12 years ago with his three bright pink rods “Pinky, Perky and Porky”
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Snape wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:14 pm
Gary Bills wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:21 pm Er, has anyone else heard this song...? Er....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbEJRaFKgls :Scared:
Bizarre
I recall meeting him fishing little Redmire about 12 years ago with his three bright pink rods “Pinky, Perky and Porky”
Oh yes, the chap you told me about: I didn't realise it was him...!

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

It was a light black night
I saw a dark white horse
It was throwing mad shadows
I could feel a strange force
And the face disappeared
And the calm came down
The rods were still
On the water not a sound

Waiting for the daybreak
For the first warm rays to shine down
The daybreak, for the first light

It was an old new moon
That slid behind the clouds
Was that a hooded figure?
Where an old monk drowned
I saw a shooting star burn out
Right across the sky
Then my right Optonic
Screaming its fearful cry

Waiting for the daybreak
The daybreak, the first light
Waiting for the daybreak
For the first warm light to shine down
The daybreak, the Redmire dawn

Yes a dream came true
On that mystical night
And as long as I live
I'll remember the signs
I swear the ghost of Dick Walker
Must have been at my side
Shouting 'Strike now, boy!'
On a surely be denied

Light black!
Dark white!
Mad Shadows!
Strange force!

Waiting for the daybreak
The daybreak, the first light
Waiting for the daybreak
The daybreak, for the Redmire dawn

Shine on me
Shine on me (That’s one hell of a carp you caught)
Shine on me (That’s no ordinary carp, chummy - that’s Raspberry!)
Shine on me
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Yeah... Yeah!
Shine on me...
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:23 pm Ps. In between In Willow and Climos is where Inghams used to be, its a bit overgrown now but in winter you can still see a bit of the old swim front half submerged.

Also, there is a small gap opposite the main gate to the car park, the gap is between large tree trunks, you'll not miss it. This spot is where Jack Hilton caught his forty, although I'm unsure as to whether the swim was actually given a name.
I think you are wrong on where Jack caught his forty Stuart. He caught it from what is now known as Cransturns, however the bank side was totally different back then, the area being very overgrown. Pete created a small gap which you could just get a rod in, a landing net being a bit of a problem, but just possible. Jack saw some movement in the scum that had accumulated around the outflow and lowered his sultana bait into a gap in the scum. If I remember correctly he told me he sat and waited about five hours for the bite !
During the first working party I attended at the Pool some of the longer standing members decided to open up the swim slightly, you could then just get a couple of rods in it plus the landing net was a bit easier to manoeuvre.
Again from memory I think Roy Johnson took his first Redmire fish from the original one rod pitch.

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Spending a lot of time at Redmire this year with many of the Hilton Syndicate and earlier anglers, it has really struck me how close the pitches were... Even today the swims used and "developed" are fairly tightly packed but there were named pitches in-between most of these, just a gap in the foliage where you could sneak a rod...

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

If you look at the Redmire map in Jacks Quest for Carp there are a couple of pitches/swims shown which no longer exist. Both the Number Three pitch on the West Bank and the Top Pitch on the East Bank have over time disappeared due to the Pool shrinking and dry land taking the place of the shallow water you used to cast into. I also don't think that the end pitch on the East Bank called Quinlan's is the original Quinlans !
At one time you could (if you donned waders) push your way through the withy beds past the Number Three Pitch and fish off Wasp Island, the fish could sometimes actually find their way behind the little island in just a few inches of water, sometimes quite big fish too, I caught several twenties from this spot. Now there is no Island it is all dry land.
On the East Bank you could work your way a few yards past the Top Pitch and stand on some fairly firm bits of bank at the extreme end of the shallows, this is where I found Chris when he was playing his fiftyone.
One my last couple of visits with old syndicate member Barry Mills we both reckoned the Pool had lost about twenty five yards of water at the shallow end !
I believe the restoration work on the Pool is shortly about to start and I, along I'm sure with many others, would wish Mark and Les all the very best in their attempts to restore the Pool to something like its former glory.

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

JPC wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:44 pm If you look at the Redmire map in Jacks Quest for Carp there are a couple of pitches/swims shown which no longer exist. Both the Number Three pitch on the West Bank and the Top Pitch on the East Bank have over time disappeared due to the Pool shrinking and dry land taking the place of the shallow water you used to cast into. I also don't think that the end pitch on the East Bank called Quinlan's is the original Quinlans !
At one time you could (if you donned waders) push your way through the withy beds past the Number Three Pitch and fish off Wasp Island, the fish could sometimes actually find their way behind the little island in just a few inches of water, sometimes quite big fish too, I caught several twenties from this spot. Now there is no Island it is all dry land.
On the East Bank you could work your way a few yards past the Top Pitch and stand on some fairly firm bits of bank at the extreme end of the shallows, this is where I found Chris when he was playing his fiftyone.
One my last couple of visits with old syndicate member Barry Mills we both reckoned the Pool had lost about twenty five yards of water at the shallow end !
I believe the restoration work on the Pool is shortly about to start and I, along I'm sure with many others, would wish Mark and Les all the very best in their attempts to restore the Pool to something like its former glory.

The time I spent at the pool with you, Barry Mike Mintram and Keith Hilton this year was invaluable John, thank you. Work starts this week!

Return to “Redmire Pool”