Milward's "Spincraft Major"

The Milwards Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Milward's "Spincraft Major"

Post by AshbyCut »

The tale is in the "General Traditional Coarse Fishing Chat" section ... but here are the pictures.

Bought as a last minute bid at an ebay starting price of £19.99 (no-one else bid) ... I bought this 9ft, 2 piece rod in original makers bag as I read on a quick google search it would make a nice rod for margin work for carp ... and at that price I could happily use it in very snaggy swims.

As stated in the ebay listing one of the agate guides (they are all agate) had a metal problem (see pic) ... and I found the agate in the butt guide was cracked ... so all guides will be replaced as a winter project.

Any other info on this rod gratefully received.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Milward's "Spincraft Major"

Post by AshbyCut »

A bit of measuring up with a digital caliper has shown that the tapers on my "Spincraft Major" are "similar" to a Chapman's Mk 4 1 1/2lb test curve.

Butt Section :-
Milward's :- 56" in length. Butt section 0.410 @ 12 ". 0.432 @ 24".
Chapman's :- 60" in length. Butt section 0.397 @ 12". 0.433 @ 24".

Top Section :-
Milward's :- 55" in length. 0.193" @ 12". 0.251" @ 24". 0.291" @ 36". 0.345" @ 52".
Chapman's :- 60" in length. 0.184" @ 12". 0.230" @ 24". 0.254" @ 36". 0.337" @ 57".

This has given me an ideal basis to judge spacings of replacement of the guides to make it a rod for margin carp fishing ... but I stand to be corrected, gentlemen, as usual.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Bu**er, I missed that!

Top rods are Milwards, always built up to a quality, not down to a price.

It might be hard finding new agate rings though.......

Dare I suggest modern unlined ones?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Nobby, Sir ... I was amazed no-one else made a bid.

I was thinking of retaining the original tip guide using the 406s 'Chrome game guides with Hardlon centre' on the Chapman's site, using 2 Number 8's, a 10, and a 12 on the top section, and a 16 and 20 on the butt section.

My intention would be to use the rod with either my Speedia, or my '70's Shakespeare 2210 II.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Sounds like a plan...not sure about the Speedia for bigger carp, though. Then again, folk do use them for barbel.

I'd look at something from Grice and Young, like a Gypsy D'Or...tough as old boots.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Nobby wrote:Sounds like a plan...not sure about the Speedia for bigger carp, though. Then again, folk do use them for barbel.

I'd look at something from Grice and Young, like a Gypsy D'Or...tough as old boots.
The wide drum Speedia is fine for big carp. A friend of mine has had quite a few Redmire 20s to 28lb in heavy weed conditions with one.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

AshbyCut wrote:Nobby, Sir ... I was amazed no-one else made a bid.

I was thinking of retaining the original tip guide using the 406s 'Chrome game guides with Hardlon centre' on the Chapman's site, using 2 Number 8's, a 10, and a 12 on the top section, and a 16 and 20 on the butt section.

My intention would be to use the rod with either my Speedia, or my '70's Shakespeare 2210 II.
I have rebuilt a couple of rods with 406s's and they really look the part, other last one being a stalking rod built on a mk4 blank that had 4" snapped off the top and another 4" hacksawn from the bottom so the sections were thd same, I paid nothing for it as it came with a bag of rods and I only wanted the bag, this was just a bonus and the other rods, 3 composite carp rods, we're donated to a local kids fishing club. The only thing I'm going to change is the tip guide, it's too small and after using it I decided it just looked wrong.

As Nobby said, a more robust reel might sit better on it, the humble trudex maybe :thumb:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Nobby wrote:Sounds like a plan...not sure about the Speedia for bigger carp, though
As my biggest carp on cane to date is a single at about 3/4 lb (no-one told it it wasn't a roach) ... I think the Speedia will cope !!!

I've only targeted carp a couple of times, and that with modern tackle, a couple of years ago ... with a pb of 11lb 0oz.

The purpose of the Milward's (and the Norco) is to rectify this with cane.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

greentura wrote:As Nobby said, a more robust reel might sit better on it, the humble trudex maybe :thumb:
I'm already making plans, Sir, and reassurance about the guides is most welcome from you both.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Quick update ... order for the guides placed with John Chapman this afternoon.

I shall be keeping the original 9mm id agate tip guide, and using 2 x 8mm, 2 x 10mm, and 2 x 12mm on the tip section, and a 16mm and 20mm on the butt section.

As a spacing guide I'll be using the specifications given on the Chapman's website for their 10 foot "Peter Stone Ledgerstrike," and adjusting to match the 9 foot length on the Spincraft Major.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”