Milwards Searanger 9'6" Hexacane Sea rod. Whipping colour help or even suggestions!

The Milwards Rods forum.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Milwards Searanger 9'6" Hexacane Sea rod. Whipping colour help or even suggestions!

Post by Tonytoned »

Hello Everyone

I picked up this Milwards Searanger 9'6" Hexacane sea rod from Wells Reclimation yard in Somerset for £10 today. The whipping seems a bit suspect, it doesn't seem to be original, but saying that the tip ring whipping does seem original and is black. Has anyone got one or know of the original wrapping colour. I have done the usual trawl though the net and I did find one in red and orange.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :Hat:

Unfortunately I didn't have quite enough money to by this!
A Russian T34 World War 2 tank... a snip at £80.000
:Chuckle:
Last edited by Tonytoned on Wed May 22, 2019 8:10 am, edited 10 times in total.

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Re: Milwards Searanger 9'6" Hexacane Sea rod. Whipping colour help or even suggestions!

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

Most of the Millwards rods I have seen are in two-colour jasper twist.

Troutbeck :Hat:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Re: Milwards Searanger 9'6" Hexacane Sea rod. Whipping colour help or even suggestions!

Post by Tonytoned »

Swythyn Troutbeck wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:42 pm Most of the Millwards rods I have seen are in two-colour jasper twist.

Troutbeck :Hat:
Thank you Troutbeck. I will look into that. :Hat:

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

I have a few Milwards and those of your rods era I would say most likely Black/White Jasper followed by Red/Black Jasper. You could try a pm to someone with a Milwards catalogue.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Thank you for your help Harry :Hat:

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

I am in the process of restoring a Milwards stream fly rod that has a similar style of furniture to yours. The whipping was solid black throughout apart from the tip ring that was wound with fine copper wire. As far as i could tell the whippings were original prior to there removal due to rusty rings.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Silfield wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:09 am I am in the process of restoring a Milwards stream fly rod that has a similar style of furniture to yours. The whipping was solid black throughout apart from the tip ring that was wound with fine copper wire. As far as i could tell the whippings were original prior to there removal due to rusty rings.
Thank you Silfield that's interesting. I was probably going to stick with black once I've sourced a Butt ring and a intermediate ring

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Tonytoned wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:16 am
Silfield wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:09 am I am in the process of restoring a Milwards stream fly rod that has a similar style of furniture to yours. The whipping was solid black throughout apart from the tip ring that was wound with fine copper wire. As far as i could tell the whippings were original prior to there removal due to rusty rings.
Thank you Silfield that's interesting. I was probably going to stick with black once I've sourced a Butt ring and a intermediate ring
Might be able to help you with the intermediate ring ,what size?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

If it is of any help, Col.H.G.V.Milward finished a good many of his rods with 'Jasper' thread, either plain or more usually, edged with scarlet.
Unfortunately, most of them have now been 'refurbished' with a variety of thread colours!
Yours may well have been black although the ring tyings pictured are certainly not original.

The two rods of his that I have seen and can guarantee that they are absolutely original have their rings and ferrules attractively tied with Gold (yellow) & black 'Jasper' thread and edged with narrow bands of scarlet. There were no intermediate tyings.

Best wishes for your project. I have always rated Milwards rods as consistently good, if a little heavy..

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Harry H wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:30 am
Tonytoned wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:16 am
Might be able to help you with the intermediate ring ,what size?
About 20 - 24mm (3/4 - 1 inch) approx - inside diameter. The eye of the ring had broken off so it is a rough measurement. It's the first ring after the butt ring on the tip section.
Last edited by Tonytoned on Mon May 20, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”