Can anyone help me with info on my "SPINMASTER" please?

The Milwards Rods forum.
AverageAngler
Gudgeon

Can anyone help me with info on my "SPINMASTER" please?

Post by AverageAngler »

Hi all,

I picked up a Milwards Spinmaster from "the bay" a couple of months back as a way in to traditional fishing. I assumed that it is a salmon spinning rod from the 50s or 60s but intended to use it for carp and maybe pike.

It is a 3 piece split cane rod of approx. 9ft. All the rings are low profile with agate linings and the reel holder is quite substantial which makes me think it was designed for use with a multiplier? It looks like it has been re-varnished at some point in a coloured varnish (mid reddish brown a bit like a shade of Sadolin my dada once used - on wood not a cane rod BTW).

If anyone can shed any light on this model I would be very grateful.

PS I thought I had better test it before I restore it as I would rather it broke now than after many hours of graft. So I took it out for a bit of margin carp fishing on the surface and what a test it proved to be! I caught my first 2 Twenties, a 23lb mirror and a 21 3/4lb mirror. I am now a very happy bunny with a new favourite rod :Chuckle:

Rich

AverageAngler
Gudgeon

Re: Can anyone help me with info on my "SPINMASTER" please?

Post by AverageAngler »

Does anyone have a Milwards brochure with this rod in it?
Would it help if I posted some pictures?

Any help gratefully received :-)

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

From my 1953 catalogue:

The Spinmaster. A powerful beautifully balanced rod whose action enables the bait to be cast with a minimum of body effort. The gripmaster reel fittings enable the reel to be locked in any convenient position and the long handle allows the cast to be fished out in comfort. Made from double built hexacane.

Made in 9ft and 10ft lengths, both in 2 or 3 piece.

The 3 piece 9ft was claimed to weigh 17oz and was designed for a casting a maximum weight of 1 3/4 oz.

Hope that helps!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

AverageAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AverageAngler »

Many thanks for the great info. Since buying this cane rod I have bought 2 more with another on the way. This will be treated to my first restoration as a reward for landing my first 2 "twenties". Plus it has no intermediates :-)

I am not surprised to find it was double built given how well it handled them. I wish these old rods could tell tales of their past captures!

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”