Milwards Spincraft.

The Milwards Rods forum.
Graeme
Minnow

Milwards Spincraft.

Post by Graeme »

I have bought a Milwards Spincraft at an auction where nobody apart from me was interested in it. All I have had to do with it is to rewrap the butt ring and replace two or three whippings. It has a tulip tip ring and all are lined with agatine. The collar is alloy with a brass inner ring. The butt cap is alloy with a rubber stopper. It looks very usable and is in excellent condition. The Milwards rod bag is also very good. There is a number on the butt 23729 and I am wondering if this is the date of manufacture. The Spincraft is 9 feet long and I intend using it for pike. Can anybody please tell me what the number means. I am rather thrilled with it. Graeme

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Milwards Spincraft.

Post by Harry H »

Quite a few members have numbered Milwards rods but nobody seems to have the answer to what they relate to :Confused: wether it's to the number of that model or number of rods produced in a particular year?
The main thing is enjoy using it. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I wonder if your rod is actually a Spincraft Major? My 1953 catalogue lists the Spincraft as being supplied in 7ft and 8ft lengths and the Spincraft Major as being 9ft. The Major was supplied in light and medium versions. The medium being designed for "the angler who wished to use a fixed spool reel with lines from 8lb to 15lb BS and baits too heavy for a normal rod like the Spincraft."

The medium weighed 12oz and had a handle length of 28in. It was also fitted with some form of sliding/locking reel seat which I can't identify from the description.

Hope that helps!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Graeme
Minnow

Post by Graeme »

Thanks to all for the helpful information. I am on holiday I Lincoln so will measure the cork butt when I get back. Looking forward very much to trying it out. Tight Lines Graeme.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”