Swimversa

The Milwards Rods forum.
Aquaerial
Chub

Re: Swimversa

Post by Aquaerial »

Too many 'Crackers' :Scared: I use rods hard and you are making me nervous :Chuckle:
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

A fine looking rod indeed with a unique construction. Will look forward to hearing how it handles. Many congratulations.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Just as a matter of interest and of course it may be my failing eyesight but it looks as though the top and butt sections are built cane and the middle section is whole cane with a spliced in built cane section. Is that right or do I need to see my optician.

I must admit I thought they were whole cane butt and middle section with a built cane top and spliced in built cane section to the middle section.

Perhaps the design was modified through its production period?

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Your eyesight is correct...its an evolved design as they started off with whole cane stepped down (spliced) whole cane middle sections then after some problems with sets :hairpull: developing in whole cane Milwards spliced built cane into the middle whole cane section.
I've cast it in the garden and its a very precise rod to cast and very accurate with light tackle, just an unusual design. It must have been speculative when it was conceived as there does not appear to be a precedent for it or perhaps someone knows different? :read:
Aquaerial

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Firstly, I can think of only one 'source' for the rumour that the whole cane insert bent. I'd have thought the tip section would have exploded before that happened personally, but there's no denying they changed it to a built cane insert.

The rod looks original and unrestored to me. The silk is lighter in colour than I have ever seen before but that might just be the light, camera flash of just natural colour change.

The butt ring is correct...try finding one of those now...I saw one on a tatty rod at an auction last week and nearly paid the £30 minimum just for the butt ring, but decided it was just too much with the commission and its VAT as well.

They do bend at that compound taper change, just don't lob anything heavy with it, but if you do a proper 'punch cast' with it I bet you will be surprised at the casting distance achieved. I was.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Apologies for being a nuisance but does Aquaerial's rod have a built cane butt section? - a whole cane mid-section with built cane insert and a built cane top section?

Just trying to get my head round this as it does seem significantly different from those first manufactured which I thought were whole cane throughout.

Thanks chaps.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Interesting Nobby...I did not want to challenge past expressed views without testing the rod properly but it has a very good feel to it and I would be very surprised if this rod let me down in anything but extreme circumstances. One does find in angling that many expressed views are not borne out of experience but from the written or spoken word.
To clarify the build is built cane butt section with reverse taper towards butt cap, whole cane with spliced built cane middle and built cane double taper tip.
SV6 (Small).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aquaerial

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

I've an older Swimversa & it's a lovely rod to use trotting for grayling.

No issues landing the odd trout when they come along either.

Like all decent cane rods, if used sensibly it shouldn't let you down [or is that, get let down by you?!]

It looks a really fine example. Enjoy it on the bank.

Zipper
Roach

Post by Zipper »

Today I bought one of these on impulse as I knew nothing about it. As it was £7 and in good condition I couldn't really go wrong. Mine has a number in the 7000's but has the same makers sticker and twin taper tip sticker. Whippings on mine appear the same, though I am doubtful about the guides as the first is bright like yours while the rest seem black. Hopefully will find out how to post pics of it over the weekend.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

£7 :Thumb: :huray:
Nicely done .

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”