County Clare 1973.

This forum is for discussing bream.
Fredline
Tench

County Clare 1973.

Post by Fredline »

I recently discovered a batch of old pictures from a "few" years ago. These 6 beauties are from County Clare circa 1973 and weighed in at 42lb. They were big fish for Clare but not so big for other parts of ireland at the time. I have hardly changed in all those years.

ImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Duckett
Tench

Re: County Clare 1973.

Post by Duckett »

Nice Bream John. At least you visited an interesting County, I like Clare and the west coast. Some friends of mine used to go fishing in the Irish Midlands every year but every time I drive through them I want to get out of there as soon as possible, so dull.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Rutilus
Roach

Post by Rutilus »

Dull? That might describe the Irish weather but not the fishing, the people or the landscape, at least for me! I spent long periods over there on the 70's and 80's and look back on those times as some the happiest of my life. Living simply out of a tent together with just my dog, the Irish landscape and the 'craic' with the locals it was my idea of heaven. For a break from the fishing every year I would make my way over to the West coast of either Clare, Connemara or Mayo, returning to the river or lake side before returning to the rat race :Cry:

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I have had a house in County Clare for 15 years and visit at least once a month. The bream and tench fishing around Corofin is top class, but firstly you need to pre bait and you need a boat as most lakes are impossible to fish from the bank .I used too bring my boat down from Lough Corrib for pike fishing in the winter but have got lazy and no longer do so. There is still top class bream fishing on Lough Derg and at least two angling guides who will bait up swims in advance (usually around islands) so you are into fish from the start of your visit. County Clare now sees very few visiting coarse fisherman and game fishing is limited due to long term ban on salmon and sea trout fishing.
Mark Davies

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I’ve had wonderful times in all corners of Ireland; it started with tenching at Lanesboro in the early eighties, Corrib, Inagh, Waterville and the fantastic rudd and tench loughs in the midlands... great memories.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi Mark,
What's the reason for the decline in visitors course fishing in Clare?
Regards Cat

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Rutilus wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:11 pm Dull? That might describe the Irish weather but not the fishing, the people or the landscape, at least for me! I spent long periods over there on the 70's and 80's and look back on those times as some the happiest of my life. Living simply out of a tent together with just my dog, the Irish landscape and the 'craic' with the locals it was my idea of heaven. For a break from the fishing every year I would make my way over to the West coast of either Clare, Connemara or Mayo, returning to the river or lake side before returning to the rat race :Cry:
I see your point but my draw to Ireland has always primarily been the archaeology, the coast and the music. If I intend to fish, it’s always been lures in the salty stuff (as with France).

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

The North Clare lakes are in the main difficult to fish without a boat although there are one or two small lakes where wooden stages have been put in.In East Clare there are hundreds of lakes where proper car parks have been made and stages have been built.This is generally where I fish for pike in the winter.They are not heavily fished by U.K. Anglers during the earlier part of the year,I think,because of the many commercial fisheries in the U.K.The East Clare lakes are now gin clear due to the presence of Zebra Mussels.There is excellent pike fishing on Lough Derg(generally you need a boat) and on the Shannon which runs into it.This stretch can be fished from the bank.Should we have. TFF outing to County Clare?
Mark Davies

Return to “Bream (Abramis brama)”