Under a watchful eye..

This forum is for discussing bream.
Aquaerial
Chub

Under a watchful eye..

Post by Aquaerial »

The 1940's gravel pit that I now fish is about 7 acres and having spent last year trying to figure it all out I grabbed a couple of hours after supper to try a swim that I felt was on the patrol route of the older bream that travel about in small groups. It was lovely to have the place to myself and as it turned out my hunch proved fruitful.
Bream pair (Small).JPG
I was not completely alone however as this fellow spent most of the evening 2m off the margin of my swim just reminding me of my failings and need for improvement.
Pike watching (Small).JPG
Content with just chatting away he was excellent company and apart from the odd attack on the roach that were tempted by my bait he seemed as comfortable as my Jack Russell just sharing what turned out to be a very pleasant evening.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Under a watchful eye..

Post by Dave Burr »

Very pleasant indeed.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A splendid early summer's evening, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Excellent. I will soon be doing some of that on the Thames when the river season opens. I will start pre-baiting my swim tomorrow!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

They are such wonderful fish that sadly get so maligned *..how lovely to be fishing the Thames for them. We have our tidal rivers and Broads of course that essentially provide for 3 different types of Bream fishing. The behaviour of the pit fish is akin to the Broads fish a tad I suppose but very different to the river fish.
Are you able to get into the shoals of older fish on the float or is it all tip work and feeders on the Thames Santiago?

(* not least because the War Minister knows when I've been Bream fishing and makes me undress in the back garden!)
Aquaerial

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done Aq.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Love that, what a pleasant change to catch lovely dark natural Bream like that. :drool:
niceroach

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I sometimes get them close in on the float when laying on or trotting, but mainly catch them on a quiver tip, but last year had lots of older fish by touch legering. Last year was odd because we mainly had bream between 5 and 9lb with no skimmers. Even my son's girlfriend caught her only ever bream and that was 81/2lb. I will be pre-baiting the same swim and fish it for a few weeks just in the evenings.

Hemingway

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Interesting...the only thing constant about rivers is change it seems.
To single out the larger roach and bream on the float or feeder up here we have always used bread, flake or punch, for whatever reason it works. However, in the last two seasons some of the match boys started using hair rigged corn and in some circles its still thought of as a secret river match bait and in others they are sceptical about it. One thing is certain however and that is I will try it and make up my own mind...that is progress as whilst I've used it as a 'change' bait on the hook it will be a first for me to hair rig corn as a river bream bait. Maybe worth a try...
Aquaerial

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Best ever bream bait I found for Thames bream is corn (not hair rigged) in the summer, and a cocktail of corn/worm in the autumn. Maggots just don't catch many. Although float fished bread also works but it's not so good when legered. Anyways that's what I have found. But the time of day one fishes for bream is also important. And one cannot beat the first three hours after dark on the Thames. Even early morning fishing is fruitless in comparison! So I suspect when fishing for them during day light is possibly the least productive method, and those caught by float are odd balls and not feeding whole heartedly per se! But that's on the Thames!

Hemingway

Return to “Bream (Abramis brama)”