new species for a new season.

This forum is for discussing zander.
TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

new species for a new season.

Post by TrentFisher »

Evening Gents,

just sitting here thinking about the new river season(yes already!) and fancy a go at the Zander on my local stretch of the Trent,there has been reports that they are present ,so as it is a fish I have never caught I thought I would give it a go .

Does anyone have experience of fishing for them on the Trent and maybe some advice.

I will do the usual research of my own and as always keep things very simple as it matches my approach to just about everything in my life!

Many thanks in advance.

Kind Regards
Nige.

Scott
Tench

Re: new species for a new season.

Post by Scott »

Hi Nige! I know nothing about zander fishing but there was a nice story in Fallon's Angler Issue 2 about a chap's quest to get to grips with this fish. Might be worth a read if you haven't already :Hat:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

My only advice is to use single circle hooks as they give a better presentation and hook up rate as well as preventing damage to fish :Wink:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I'd check with the EA, it may well be illegal to put them back since they're on the non-native alien list for most river systems; not sure about the Trent!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _10025.pdf

I cannot see anything about requiring zander removal in the above.

JAA

Post by JAA »

Take a read though 'Idler's Quest' on zander fishing, there's some excellent material on fishing for them and hooks/baits and Jeff's an engaging writer as well.

http://idlersquest.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Zander

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

My experience is that Zander like slack areas where there are plenty of small fish present. They often feed better at dusk but you can catch them during the daytime. They will often drop the bait if they feel resistance so it is best not to use heavy tackle and rigs. They take most small fish baits.

The fish below is from the Trent.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

I'll echo the comments above. Find the slacks and you'll find the fish, a lot of the Trent is featureless and even a small cut or overhanging bush can be a holding feature.

I've had some success in the past on livebaits but have found Zander to be very,very picky about bait size. Anything big and they just nip the tails off.

Have a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=7880&p=110989&hili ... it#p110989
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Good point about resistance Phil. When I caught my first ones on the canal in Gloucester I fashioned a leger boom with the weight at the bottom, about 6-8" of stiff rig tubing with a cork ball at the top and a large eyed, free running ring for the main line to got through. This held the line above the weed and was almost resistance free, I didn't have a dropped run all day and landed six zander.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Gentleman,

thank you for all your comments and advice,match these to the stretch I will be fishing the signs look promising .
The circle hook looks interesting and I have read a little about these's and will be adding some to the tackle bag.
The season is still long way off so plenty of time to study the information available,I will then strip this down and apply it to the stretch I will be fishing ,and hopefully I will be adding a new species to the list from my favourite venue.

Many thanks for the time you have taken in posting your valuable information regarding my post on this subject.

Kind Rgeards
Nige.

Return to “Zander (Stizostedion lucioperca)”