New Rod "The Nottingham Style"

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
James
Rudd

New Rod "The Nottingham Style"

Post by James »

Recently i have made a few rods that have required hollowing to a degree that i had not done before. Thanks to Badger1, Bumble and Tengisgol i have successfully developed my hollow building technique which i have found quiet suits the angler who holds his rod while touch ledgering or long trotting.
I have always been conscious of the limitations of built cane for long trotting larger rivers . longer rods can be to heavy for long periods.
With the new build method i can now produce a longer, lighter, crisper, faster action without any noticeable reduction in power. With this in mind i have designed 2 rods which are called "The Nottingham Style"
These new rods conjure up great Nottingham angler of the past, William Bailey , J W Martin and others, anglers that were highly successful fisherman of The Nottingham Style, and i hope they would have approved..
Rod Specification
11ft 9in 2pce to suit 2-4lb line The ultimate built cane river roach rod.

11ft 3in 2pce to suit 3-6lb line Designed for float fishing for chub and barbel,also great for light ledger work.

If your going to Redditch on May14th i will have a 3-6lb class on show.Please ask for a waggle :Wink: My website will be updated soon.

Another rod in the pipeline is Walkers "Wopper Stopper"

Badger1
Roach

Re: New Rod "The Nottingham Style"

Post by Badger1 »

Waggle it carefully please! :).

Looking forward to giving it a darn good thrashing come the 16th, any notable catches or nice shots of the rods action will of course be uploaded to the tinter-web. Hopefully come the summer a couple of days on the Trent trying to live up to the rods name...... and in the footsteps of JW Martin. Trotting for old Barbus Barbus.

Maybe even a sea trout or silver tourist on the Teifi .....that'll test it :).

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

James wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 7:52 pm Recently i have made a few rods that have required hollowing to a degree that i had not done before. Thanks to Badger1, Bumble and Tengisgol i have successfully developed my hollow building technique which i have found quiet suits the angler who holds his rod while touch ledgering or long trotting.
I have always been conscious of the limitations of built cane for long trotting larger rivers . longer rods can be to heavy for long periods.
With the new build method i can now produce a longer, lighter, crisper, faster action without any noticeable reduction in power. With this in mind i have designed 2 rods which are called "The Nottingham Style"
These new rods conjure up great Nottingham angler of the past, William Bailey , J W Martin and others, anglers that were highly successful fisherman of The Nottingham Style, and i hope they would have approved..
Rod Specification
11ft 9in 2pce to suit 2-4lb line The ultimate built cane river roach rod.

11ft 3in 2pce to suit 3-6lb line Designed for float fishing for chub and barbel,also great for light ledger work.

If your going to Redditch on May14th i will have a 3-6lb class on show.Please ask for a waggle :Wink: My website will be updated soon.

Another rod in the pipeline is Walkers "Wopper Stopper"

You tease Andrew, you know how much I like to trot for Barbel and chub :fishing1:

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Very nice Andrew.

I won't be "waggling" I know how to keep my sanity :Brickwall:
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Such skill. Best of luck and look forward to fellow members reports on how they fish.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Now look here ... I'm having trouble enough sleeping with the excitement of what I'm picking up (I hope) from Andrew at Redditch !!!!! :drool:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

James
Rudd

Post by James »

Looking good Mal ,Last coat of varnish tomorrow .

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

James wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 10:26 pm Looking good Mal ,Last coat of varnish tomorrow .
Be still, my beating heart !!!. Nooooo ... not THAT still !!! (thump ... thump ... thump). Sorry to hijack the thread. I'll shut up now. :Scared:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

As some of you will know already, I asked Andrew to build something very specific for me, to celebrate my special birthday, and the result of that discussion and project is what has now (quite rightly) become the 2-4lb version 'Nottingham Style' rod.

I used it for the first time last weekend and I am still lost for words. It is a wonderful rod to use, perfection in fact. I caught quite a lot of fish and it was magnificent right through; light and balanced in the hand, crisp of strike and gorgeously progressive under strain.

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

James
Rudd

Post by James »

I am delighted for you Phil ,i cant wait to try mine out which is a little way off completion.
[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/33tm9oi.jpg[/I

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”