Senior Grebe

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
Badger1
Roach

Senior Grebe

Post by Badger1 »

Hello all,

A good few years ago Andrew made me a rod which I’ve never put a thread up on here so thought I would! I gave it a airing last week for pike on my local stretch of the Kennet and thought it about time I done a bit of marketing for Andrew :Chuckle: .

At the time I wanted a short pokie whopper-stopper which was light in hand but very capable of stopping the largest of fish (not that I get many) I don’t really go after carp but if I did….I would probably be looking at stalking in close tight swims. But primarily it’s a short rod for either close-quarter work or spinning.

Although we decided on the name “Senior Grebe” i.e. it’s much more powerful than the classic B.James rod, I should have really have gone for name like ‘Bush whacker’ or similar just for mild amusement but went with a fairly boring traditional name.

Andrew based the rod loosely on a salmon rod taper but obviously altered it to suit a shorter rod. The handle is fairly short, length of my forearm which makes it easy to fling around. Nickel-silver ferrule, sliding reel bands rather than the heavier fixed-reel fittings. As the handle is short you tend to have the reel set up the top of the handle most of the time. Whippings were very simple and on this particular rod no intermediates, but green tipped with red whippings.

A very nice short powerful rod. If anyone looking for a new build.....

Sorry meant to add this earlier - 8' 6", 2 piece, all splitcane, handle length is 20" from top of onion to base of button. Quite short. Yes the pike below was last week on deadbait. The other photos from a summer a few years ago spinning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Badger1 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: Senior Grebe

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Splendid photographs and it looks as though the Pike fell to a static bait as I think I detect the presence of a Pike Bung although the bottom photo shows what I think maybe a No. 2 Copper Mepps Spinner. Any chance of some more details Badger 1?

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Hi Pershoreharrier, amended the original post. Photos were taken at different times.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Thanks Badger - superb stuff indeed and a very fine landing net to complete the tackle. I have never even attempted spinning with a centrepin although I am sure there must be a technique.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Well done Andrew ,he certainly a brilliant rod maker ,let's see more of his excellence.

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

I enjoy spinning with a centre pin. That reel above with spinner is a old Hardy reel, it's hard work using that but a Aerial is usually a joy to use. I don't own a egg-whisk/fixed spool nowadays. The landing net came off Ebay would you believe....hand made by a engineer tup north....stainless steel spreader block! Paired up with a Paul Cook pole. It's so nice I got shot of my Barder net.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

A fine looking rod Badger. :Hat:

Simon F
Ruffe

Post by Simon F »

Lovely rod and well fitted to its purpose, I so wish there was some decent river piking close to me. I must stir myself and head to the Wye.
The name however makes me think of Molesworth and down "Down With Skool" I'm sure Grebe Senior would be a particularly sadistic prefect and a friend of Grabber!

``·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

What a beautiful rod!
Can you please tell us a little more about spinning with a centrepin. It sounds like hard work to me. Do you use the Wallis cast or do you manage to cast straight off the reel?
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Hi Duebel - well I'm no expert and I am sure others would pass their opinions but I'm OK at Wallis casting/off the drum, well I just about get away with it. I am however a useless teacher (as Andrew will tell you) a couple of times I have tried to offer some "guidance" on how to cast but really I can only give pointers on how I cast. Each angler needs to persist to finding their own rhythm. I used to fixed spools as a kid but at around 15/16 I started to use centre pin solely. I had a couple of hours pointers from a very good caster who gave me some directions on how to get started and from there it's been trial and error and generally finding that rhythm.

But nowadays I love whacking out a lure/spinner, even if you don't get a fish interested it's enjoyable to spend time casting out. Sad really.

I tried to find some photos but none really show the action. The photo below shows the very start of a cast, it's a smooth action and using the action of the rod as well. A good pin is a lovely thing to cast, the reel I am using below is a hideously heavy Hardy Fly-spinning reel from 1880 and is bl00dy awful to cast really compared to a good pin like a Aerial or Speedia, its very heavy and high inertia to get the drum moving.
10703881_724630920945513_656629893025847813_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”