Tactio up date

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Re: Tactio up date

Post by Bumble »

Paul D .I hold the rod above the reel in my right hand with a loop of line from between the second ring and the butt ring across four of my fingers on my left hand when I touch ledger. I have every shape of handle possible in my thicket but find the cigar shape the most comfortable to hold for many hours.
Bumble

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Aha...James..Sia-cut???? Nothing else like it for cork. Haydn Clarke put me on to it a few years back..even sent me some...what a revelation!

Glad to see you wearing a face mask..I think that cork dust did for both Bob Southwell and Cliff Constable!

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Bumble wrote:Paul D .I hold the rod above the reel in my right hand with a loop of line from between the second ring and the butt ring across four of my fingers on my left hand when I touch ledger. I have every shape of handle possible in my thicket but find the cigar shape the most comfortable to hold for many hours.
Bumble
Oh I see, I understand , that makes sense, :Hat:

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Looking vey desirable, Bumble. Nice to see a craftsman at work. I hope to emulate him one day.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

P.D apologies I never answered your question on the colour of the whips. With the rod being something quite different from the norm I want the whips to be different as well however I also want to reflect that's it's specifically a Chub rod.
If you look closely at the scales of a Chub there is a wonderful Gold and Black hue and we will try to capture this using a Jasper whippings. We have narrowed it down to 2 silks now and AD will a sample using both before a final decision is made.
Bumble

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

One of the many things that makes Andrews rods stand out is the superb quality cork. Inspirational work.. :Hat:

Wal.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Pictures and words from the man himself, all I can add is that it gets more exciting with every update from AD.

Now then it's time to make the ferrules, the female is made out of beers tube with a wall thickness of 1 and a half millimetres which is turned down to a wall thickness of 05 mm. With this task I take my time you don't want the brass to get to hot as it will distort. The counter ferrule is made from solid bar. I will leave enough material to lapp the ferrule by hand when they have been fitted. The split cane is ready for splicing into the whole cane. You must whip some strong thread onto the whole cane before boring it out to take the split cane. There we are glued and I am ready for whipping. The ferrules are now fitted so it's that exciting time where you put the rod together .Colin I think we have done it, it feels perfect ,very light and crisp. Oh I can't wait to finish this rod.☺

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Quite outstanding gents, Bumble that colour combination sounds exquisite :cheers:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Totally in awe of people that have such craftsmanship capability.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Re: Tactio up date now a twin tip

Post by Bumble »

We promised we would be honest during the build so here we are baring our souls . The first tip section was sublime but more aligned to to a float rod so now we have a twin tip one float one one touch ledger and the whipping is under way
Image[/u

[url=https://postimg.org/image/5nlasmwjb/]Image

The man is simply s genius with tapers
Bumble

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”