Tactio up date

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
James
Rudd

Re: Tactio up date

Post by James »

Thats right Nobby,a little like the swimversa middle section. The problem with whole cane its a bit hit and miss because there is no precise taper, the reason for the spliced in split cane is to give the rod a bit more flex near the ferrule. Its all a bit new to me and i dont really know what the rod will feel like till its been constructed . There's a lot of rod makers guess work involved, fingers crossed.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Don't worry James if it goes wrong you can blame the mad designer
Bumble

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

James wrote:The glue i use is evostik waterproof, the blue bottle. May be 15 years ago i asked Ted Oliver what modern glue to use and he replied EVOSTIK WATERPROOF,over 200 rods later i haven't felt the need to change. I did use cascamite for years but it dries to quick in a hot workshop and before you have the strips bound together it starts to set.
Thanks for your reply James.

I suspected it was PVA from the colour, but wasn't sure. I agree with you regarding Cascamite, it can be a bit quick and has a surprisingly short shelf life too.

I notice that you also use PU glue for your cork, I do too. I first used this glue about 15 years ago to glue the plank scarfs in the mahogany for a clinker built launch I was building, I also used it to laminate the oak frames and keel, and as you will appreciate, oak is a notoriously difficult timber to glue. A clinker boat boat relies on it's flexibility for it's strength, much like our cane rods. 15 years on, and all seems well. Just wish it was easier to get off your hands...

Thanks again James for sharing, no doubt, hard won trade 'secrets' with us, it's much appreciated.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

You know it might not have been done before but a spliced butt makes a lot of sense. The ferrule on a whole cane butt always looks a huge weak point to me...spreading the load a little makes so much sense.

Having had just one cane rod break...and right behind the ferrule on a whole cane butt rod too I can't help but think it's a good idea.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

My abbey match is split cane spliced into whole on the tip and middle section, not the butt. Watching with great interest.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The butt section of my Chance Cane "AshbyCut's Roisteach Snas" has 17 inches of hollow built split cane spliced into 50 inches of whole cane.

Dr. Chance has emailed me this very morning to say that the second butt, which is all hollow built split cane, is now ready and winging it's way to me. It will be fascinating to compare the action of the two sections.

Image Image
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A really good post this as I love working with whole cane and it's great to see how others tackle the usual problems.

I have found that by splicing the whole cane butt section a bit further down gives a much more progressive curve than one spliced near the ferrule. I find this also applies to middle sections.

It also helps if you wish to hollow bore the whole cane sections as the two shorter sections can be worked from either end without the need for excessively long boring bars.

I must admit, 2mm thick walls on the hollow built sections sounds frighteningly thin to me but I have never even considered building a hollow cane section, I am really looking forward to seeing this progress and hearing of Colins thoughts when it's getting used.

As for the glue, yes I totally agree with Andrew, good old resin W pva is great for joining cane. I destruction tested it against Cascamite a few years ago on two identical laminated cane sections( I was making landing net limbs) both broke at about the same weight and neither delaminated first just a splintered break across the fibres.

Wal.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Latest pictures from the workshop of James AKA Andrew Davis the handle shape was always going to be critical for me as I feel a Cigar shape compliments my style of touch ledgering we all have our own idiosyncrasies.
Well I'm pleased to report its coming along splendidly as I hope you can see.
The other words are from James himself.

Thought you might like to see how you can turn a perfect cork handle with an old cheap metal lathe ..you can buy these dinosaurs for little outlay. Dust extractor helps.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Sheer perfection ......... the finished rod will be a work of art and a pleasure to fish with
Tight lines
Dave

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

looking lovely, very clever Andrew. Bumble, a small point if I may, why is the handle shape so "critical"? Surely you hold the parallel part? I'm not being sarcastic or picky just not sure how the extremely elegant cigar portion could matter apart from being aesthetically pleasing. :Hat:
Have you decided on the colour of the whippings yet ?

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”