A Happy Dilemma

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
DWW
Grayling

A Happy Dilemma

Post by DWW »

My cane collection has reached a point where I need to either cut down on the rods or build a new tackle shed ! So I have decided to sell a number of items to fund a new rod from the Andrew Davies stable .( There must be some logic there but ...!)
I would like some advice from any fellow TFF members on the most suitable one please . I want a rod that will be suitable for float fishing and light legering for Perch , Tench and Chub fishing with the strength to land a double figure Carp when needed. I have a Lucky Strike for the lighter float fishing and my Pike fishing is covered with an LRH and Dennis Pye rod.
My eye was drawn to the " Arun " rod in Andrew's range . I fish the Sussex Arun a lot so it might be fitting . But has anyone used one ? Would it fit my needs ?

DWW
Grayling

Re: A Happy Dilemma

Post by DWW »

After a conversation with Andrew Davies , the " Arun " would be a bit light for my needs . So he has suggested the " Avocet" or " Kennet Perfection " . Has anyone used or owns one who could pass comment please ?

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

I would suggest the Avon Perfection, I have waggled Andrews own deluxe version! (fully lined rings) it feels sublime, like all his rods, I actually ordered one but switched to a craftversa because I already have an AJD MKIV carp so wanted something further away from that.
I'm still considering ordering one :Hahaha:
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

I have the immense pleasure of owning an AJD The Arun .. It's a most sublime rod but as Andrew has said might just be a tad too " light " for your needs .

Listen to his advice and you'll not be disappointed .

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I am sure it will be a great rod DWW.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Sounds like you need a "beefy" Avocet or a Kennet Perfection as Andrew suggests. The Avon Perfection is a super rod, but regularly hooking double figure carp is going to be a bit much for it. Although i have caught some good barbel on my three piece version and the two piece one.

Andrew will be able to make you a Avocet that is beefy in its power yet light. I have a very early Avocet Andrew made and I have caught a few carp on it. Light rod in weight yet superbly strong. If you want further detailes then drop me a PM. The Craftversa is one I am not fussed about but alot of people rave about Andrew's version, i have waggled a few of them....all nice but for me I'd have something else.

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

I think your best coarse of action is to follow Andrews advice - you will no doubt get rod which will do all you want and be a pleasure to use.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Float fishing for perch and double figure carp sounds a stretch for any rod....you're always going to be compromising for the fish you aren't actually fishing for at the time.

I'd stick with the Lucky Strike for light float work and concentrate on the carp. An 11 pound carp might just be OK on an Avon Perfection, but a 19lber?? I think any carp over 12lbs on a Summer's day when the fish has lots of fight needs a rod approaching a 1.25lb. test curve and a through action. I think Andrew just designed one, didn't he?

DWW
Grayling

Post by DWW »

Gents thanks for the advice ! I think I will have another chat with Andrew and be guided by him .

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”