FWK Wallis Tribute - Wizard/Avocet

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
Badger1
Roach

FWK Wallis Tribute - Wizard/Avocet

Post by Badger1 »

Another rod of Andrew’s which deserves a little thread especially seeing as the web site is currently having a few administrative issues is the “FWK Wallis Tribute”. A few years back Andrew made me a Wizard which is verging on a Avocet but not quite the same, I wanted something which was similar to the Wizards / or the nicer Hardy Wallis Avon No1 (early red whipped rods) with a “sporting” feel to it i.e. not too heavy with a short handle and full through action. With lined rings, nickel-silver ferrules, and a little more beefy for modern fish. It’s been a while since I took this rod from the cupboard and I had forgotten how nice it is.

The Super Wizards which Allcocks made are nice rods but it struck me that all they did was take a normal Wizard and stick Super Wizard label on with some lined rings. Well Wizards vary massively anyhow but I personally felt that the rod taper needed slightly changing to handle the lined rings. At the time I think Andrew felt similar and knew what I was looking for/getting at. So he set to work and produced a very capable “beefed” up Wizard. These type of rods usually suit a centre pin very well when Wallis casting, the action will assist in casting as they are almost whip like.

Spec:
• 11’ 3 piece, wholecane butt. Split cane middle & top.
• Nickel-silver ferrules.
• Lined rings similar to the Allcocks Super Wizard.
• Short handle like the Wizards.
• Green and gold whipping scheme.
• From memory the lower end of the middle section is part hollow built just to keep the weight down.

If you are looking for a rod which is not your full blown Avocet but still has a lot of power then something like this may suit you. It has landed barbel to 9 1/2Lb and a few small pike. The first fish I hooked with the rod….Andrew and I went to a bend in on Trent to test it out with a spinner and we hooked a seriously annoyed pike of rough 12-15lb, the rod coped well and stopped the pike reaching a number of snags. But luckily it got off at the net. We were both secretly relieved as it was one angry pike. Probably never been caught as this part of Trent was a proper wilderness even though close to a small village.

It's not a standard "catalogue" rod but I am sure Andrew can accommodate. But enough of my waffle and PR/marketing for him. I took it out last night and caught a couple of nice barbel. One below which kind of shows the lower handle of the rod. I shall try and do some more pictures of the rod itself at some point.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: FWK Wallis Tribute - Wizard/Avocet

Post by Mark »

Sounds a lovely Rod Badger and a fine barbel there too.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Lovely Rod there chap! :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Note the pipe JT on the left of the matt.....lots of midges/mozzies/flies about so smoke the b*ggers out. I was casting/bouncing the meat while doing a impression of a steam train to to put'em off. :)

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

I am seriously thinking about buying one of these:

Looks like a lovely rod, and the barbel is stunning!

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Badger1 wrote:Note the pipe JT on the left of the matt.....lots of midges/mozzies/flies about so smoke the b*ggers out. I was casting/bouncing the meat while doing a impression of a steam train to to put'em off. :)
Mozzies the size of dinosaurs on the Kennet, that and the stinging nettles are the only things that really get on my nerves there!...

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

This is a very capable rod for those looking for a Wizard style rod. I decided to have a quick couple of hours yesterday afternoon before the rain came in. Using a large 30" net so the barbel was some reasonable size. The rod was tested but it's lower middle section is quite a powerful.

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

Ooooooh, what a jolly wizard Wizard that is!!!

Troutbeck :mrgreen:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Great fish chap and great rod/net, well done again! :)

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit »

Very nice indeed. I love the whole cane butt with built cane middle and top combination. And made by a master.. it's great to see it taming the bigger fish. :Thumb:

Rather nice looking pipe in that first photo too!
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”