Re: Avon Perfection - 3 piece

Post by J.T »

Was a great day, well done again on the Cracking Barbel, good photo too. :Wink:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Yes thanks J.T a nice pic. Unusal for me to be with someone to take picture. Your obese troot was impressive too haha.

Dokterhoo
Dace

Post by Dokterhoo »

Cracking barbel, super rod, but that Aerial........ Wow. "Milk bottle" handles, nickle silver rim, could it possibly be what I think it is?

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Afternoon "Dokterhoo".....yup it's a 4" narrow drum Aerial :).

Yes it is what you suspect, if I had to live with just one Aerial this would be the one. Super reel and casts beautifully. It came my way a few years ago now after being in a draw since the 80s, it wasn't a "car boot find" for sure but still happy to take the plunge on it. It will go to the grave with me. Wallis casts a treat, I can spend hours whacking a spinner out on the Trent with this reel just for the joy using it. I've put some backing line on to increase the diameter of the drum and that helps with the line retrieval.

On the Aerial front....David Brown makes super Aerials, I purchased a 3 1/2" Double ventilated Aerial last year and it's a super reel, superbly made and casts very well. For a more affordable Aerial David makes real gems. Very much recommend them for modern pins.

The rod is super. It was at it's limits really with that barbel but if you use the full action it's not in major danger of a set. Plus Andrew tempers the cane properly. The rod is still in A1 knick and happily sprung back after a testing fish. Due to the action of the rod you can cast a 1SSG or 2SSG with a meat ball sized piece of meat quite some distance. If distance is required that is.

Cheerio

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Badger1 wrote:Yes thanks J.T a nice pic. Unusal for me to be with someone to take picture. Your obese troot was impressive too haha.
Was a pleasure as always chap! :)

here is that Troot (would have made a good dinner for two!) and the Chublet I caught, didn't take a picture of that big old bream... kind of wish I had now... LOL :Chuckle:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Should have done J.T as it was a dirt great slimey bin lid!

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Having given the Avon Perfection a darn good thrashing this evening I can report its a cracker of a rod. No action shots of the barbel as I was hanging on for dear life. Tore almost all the braid off the reel and just meters from the backing line as it shot off down stream. A horendous battle and i did make pigs-ear of landing the barbel. Certainly tested the rod and now she can be hung up until the autumn/winter for grayling. Well made a trip to the Wye in july too. Super rod.....highly recommend.

Camera setting a bit cocked up

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Fabulous!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

The barbel was a titanic battle. Andrew's rod was REALLY tested. It was in full curve and to be blunt I was getting worried that I wasn't going to be able to control it. I was a few meters off the backing line on the reel on the first run. It flew off down stream like a small barbel heading for the Thames :). It was'nt until trying to "pump" it back up that I thought.....it's got a bit of weight. 4 attempts at getting in the net.....made a right dogs-dinner of that. Just could not get her above me to drop into the net and load of branches down in the water.

The pike went like a stabbed rat too, took the meat on the way in :). Down the river at 1900hrs...home at 2145hrs. Bish bosh bash. Done.

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”