Avon Perfection - 3 piece

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
J.T
Catfish

Re: Avon Perfection - 3 piece

Post by J.T »

Well done again chap, obviously not having your Gillie (me) to help out was a minus! lol
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

To be frank Jeff.....yes I seriously did need a ghillie with that barbel. I don't often get in a flap when playing fish but this one was a struggle. I thought I was going to loose it at the net after 3 attempts! She went back/recovered very quickly so obviously fighting fit.

Time to wheel the big guns out and get the "Opochtli" / Senior Wallis Avon back into action if the barbel are in that type of mood.

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Well after a work meeting which was surprisingly good I thought I would nip down the river quickly before the rain came in. I grabbed the Andrew Davis "Avon Perfection" 3 piece as it needed a darn good thrashing again, :) actually I was not really expecting much as my mind was else where really. I actually got stopped by a bailiff and asked for tick and licence in the car park and after a lengthy natter finally got the first cast in at 1620. A biteless hour went by in a couple of swims and just when my mind was thinking of work matters this cheeky little chappie whipped the bait up and shot off upstream.

Happy with that fish I moved downstream to the next fishable area where i could park up and light the pipe. General rule is i have to catch something before the pipe is fired up (unless the depths of winter). A couple of taps and knocks from chublettes were ignored, it seemed one barbel was going to be it and that was just fine. So with the clock heading towards 1900hrs I thought I would try a swim where last time I fished it some cheeky chub had snaffled the bait without being hooked. Casting out downstream some 15-20 yards and allowing the flow to bring the bait right in to within inches of the bank it seemed to be roughly where the chub where last time. 10 minutes went bye with a number of chublette bites at the bait....looking back now all of a sudden those bites stopped so I re-casted to the same spot and whack......poor old Andrew's rod was seriously tested. I will admit she nearly got away a number of times, at one point the fish an alder tree branches were one mass. But luckily the braid was man-enough, mono would have snapped. I made a right fook-up getting her in the net 3 times due to the flow. But got the lump in. To use a hideous term.....a PB.

Well done Andrew, that rod must be made of some modern material. Rods fine ofcourse.....never in danager :Chuckle:

James
Rudd

Post by James »

You will insist on catching these huge barbel with that lovely rod which by the way is just as happy catching Roach,Grayling,chub and tench.It just goes to show how versatile the Avon Perfection is.Well done Badger1

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Well done Sir, what was the weight? :Hat:

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Great stuff B1, now why didn't I buy Snape's rod, will I ever learn :doh:
Best Fishes
Mushy

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

Stunning tackle, stunning fish!

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

James - ah come on you know I am a old woman with my rods, very careful with them but this certainly put a bend in the rod when trying to stop this one. It is nearly winter so Grayling will be the way forward.....or will it cope with a pike....oh yes it caught a pike earlier in the season. :Chuckle:

Paul D - I've not been knighted...... yet :Chuckle: so no need for "Sir" with me. Well I weighed the old girl in a sling with my old spring balance which are accurate and despite the shaking hand the needle jigged about but it was just over 11b! So she was/is 11b I reckon. She was very deep and wide fish, felt like a reeling in a massive sack when trying to get her upstream, a feeling of trying to pull the plug out of the river. Very pleased obviously.

Mushy - :Chuckle: Yes raid the piggy bank otherwise just live with regrets, bargains do come along but why not treat yourself now and then Can't take it with you, and I certainly would leave anything much :).

Trilob - Thanks, the net is massive a 30" beast. Not made by a famous maker but by a very skilled chap.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

It is a fine rod indeed, and some fine Barbel too! :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Beautiful rod and stunning pictures. Well done you!

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”