The birth of 'Carpathia'

Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods forum.
Aquaerial
Chub

Re: The birth of 'Carpathia'

Post by Aquaerial »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Yes to a stiff butt Nobby, enough reserve power to stop carp reaching danger such as snags and other underwater obstacles, yet forgiving in the tip section to eradicate hook pulls and to allow casting of softer baits such as meat or soaked mixers. The idea is for this to be the ultimate cane carp rod, to cover all bases. From casting to an island 40 yards away with a ledger rig, to chucking a lump of crust towards sunken tree to creeping up on leviathan whilst stalking the margins. Go carping, grab Carpathia. I'd say it's designed for carp from double figures upwards. The Mark IV is a great rod, but Carpathia takes on and deals with any of its shortcomings. I think the power distribution combined with the extra length will put the angler in total control when playing carp.
You no longer sound impartial Stu...I think I should do the testing :Wink:
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Fear not sir, I'll be reporting back my findings every step of the way. The jury is always out on something new until it's tried and tested, that's a given, but when something of this pedigree comes about, you just know it's going to be special.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've felt for years that a Mark IV would be better with 6 inches shoved on either end :Hahaha: ...a bit more in the butt....a bit less in the tip. And there's a few rod makers who seem to have made rods like this before as well...Ted Oliver and Norman-Agutter to name just 2.

I think it will be a belter...Lord knows it looks one!

My favourite carbon carp rod is indeed 1.75 lbs though possibly its action goes further than James' one third......but a cane rod that can play a fish like it would be fantastic. It's actually a Fox barbel rod and it's never pulled a hook yet ( famous last words.....)

JAA

Post by JAA »

Nobby wrote:I've felt for years that a Mark IV would be better with 6 inches shoved on either end :Hahaha: ...a bit more in the butt....a bit less in the tip. And there's a few rod makers who seem to have made rods like this before as well...Ted Oliver and Norman-Agutter to name just 2.

I think it will be a belter...Lord knows it looks one!

My favourite carbon carp rod is indeed 1.75 lbs though possibly its action goes further than James' one third......but a cane rod that can play a fish like it would be fantastic. It's actually a Fox barbel rod and it's never pulled a hook yet ( famous last words.....)
Never really thought the MKIV was that good a rod myself - the idea of the compound tapers was a good one and I've often thought about a rod with more weight based on three tapers about a third of the rod each. It'll be interesting to see how this new rod works out.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

That looks gorgeous Stu. :Thumb:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I have an 11' 2lbs t/c cane carp rod and think it's too powerful in many situations which is why the concept behind this rod has piqued my interest so much.

My Sharpes Carp has less in the tip than Walkers MkIV and more in the butt. If this is true of all them it may explain why they are so sought after.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Great rod as always Andrew, looking forward to seeing what it can do. :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

So here she is, the final set of photos before I recieve her. I think she's a peach, and if she fishes half as well as she looks, I think we're onto a winner!!
Carpathia 005.JPG
Carpathia 006.JPG
Carpathia 013.JPG
Carpathia 018.JPG
Carpathia 016.JPG
All that remains now is for the rod to arrive and for some angling to commence. I have some venues in mind so an exciting summer is on the cards. Some tricky local haunts are my first port of call, a couple of which I've never stalked before, so new territory for Carpathia and me on the horizon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Absolutely wonderful. Looking forward to hearing details of the christening !
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

It looks absolutely beautiful. I have to admit that I wasn't sure how white ink would look but I'm sold on the aesthetics of this richly coloured cane with the minimum of script.

I can't wait to read of your first impressions with a carp attached.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”