OH NOOOOoooo

The ABU Reels forum.
Black Prince
Crucian Carp

OH NOOOOoooo

Post by Black Prince »

Bought two Abu Cardinal reels to go with my carp rods this year a abu 60 and abu 70 sight unseen off people you think would sell you something right after reading the post on not proper ones I was looking at my reels yes both have the serial no up side down to the writing :hairpull: can’t do anything about it now :doh: now my next question are they (I know their wronguns )made to a degree that they could be used for fishing after all shimano are made in Japan I know for a collector of Abu reels they are a big fat no :Brickwall: but once on my rods no ones going to see could they be user reels are they any good for actual using compared to the real thing thanks in advance mike :Cry

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Re: OH NOOOOoooo

Post by OldTackle »

Hi Black Prince,

I was told that it has been usual up to a certain date. As long as it is not that specific mentioned number on those 33's or 44's I wouldn't worry too much.
I bought a very used 44 and it is for sure a quality original. It has its number upside down too.
Maybe post a picture or two and BL will certainly have a good estimation for you.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

ImageImageImageImage thanks mike

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Might be helpful to change the topic a bit :Hat:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Dont get too hooked up on the serial number thing, 760301 is the number to look for and that number will be upside down like on many Cardinal reels that came before 76. Below is the very highly sought after " Special Foot " Cardinal 44 from 1968 and 69, both stamped upside down
Its been documented that the reel was made from 1969, that was until I found the 68 reel, serial number is upside down on that if you look carefully
Its hard to see at first but 050800 = 05 = May 08 = 1968 and 00 = no revisions, means the reel is a 1st version.
The other reel dates 060900 but is to easy to read it how you see it as 006090 when in fact its 060900 exactly a year and 1 month later than the 68 reel
ImageImage

The other thing to remember is the Japanese only copied the 33 and 44 models, no other reel. Yes they now do hideous versions of Cardinal 3 but they are easy to spot

Your reels are fine Black Prince. :Hat:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

Thank you bl for clearing that up for me and any other user buyer it did have me feeling a bit deflated to say the least :Hat: mike

Return to “ABU Reels”