Re: ABU CARDINAL 40 (Revisited)

The ABU Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Re: ABU CARDINAL 40 (Revisited)

Post by Nobby »

Although the 40 was an 'economy' reel it still knocks most British reels of that period into a cocked hat.....sadly.

If you're happy to use foreign reels...and to not do so is a bit of a compromise...you can do far worse.

The spool will clout the back of the rotor every time it returns inward unless the reel is pointing downwards and the clutch clicker is a tad loud, though it is fixable with patience. Even the anti-reverse clicker can be made quieter with some thick grease in the right place, but these reels don't like it anywhere else. I just re-built on I have here for sale with the finest 'medium' grease money can buy....only to have to clean it all out again because it made the reel stiff!

Have you noticed that you can open the bail trip lever by hand when the bail arm is closed and move the bail arm right back to take all the load off the bail spring when not in use? Great idea!

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Nobby wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:35 pm Although the 40 was an 'economy' reel it still knocks most British reels of that period into a cocked hat.....sadly.

If you're happy to use foreign reels...and to not do so is a bit of a compromise...you can do far worse.

The spool will clout the back of the rotor every time it returns inward unless the reel is pointing downwards and the clutch clicker is a tad loud, though it is fixable with patience. Even the anti-reverse clicker can be made quieter with some thick grease in the right place, but these reels don't like it anywhere else. I just re-built on I have here for sale with the finest 'medium' grease money can buy....only to have to clean it all out again because it made the reel stiff!

Have you noticed that you can open the bail trip lever by hand when the bail arm is closed and move the bail arm right back to take all the load off the bail spring when not in use? Great idea!
Hello Nobby. Thank you. I did notice it was a bit stiff when I used it Saturday. I've tried the bail arm, is it like this?

:Hat:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That's it...makes the spring last forever!

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Nobby wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:36 am That's it...makes the spring last forever!
Nobby I think you will find the 40 and some of the other Cardinal models have 2 bail return springs. 1 either side. :Thumb:

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Re: ABU CARDINAL 40 (Revisited)

Post by BeechmereLake »

If your a stalking angler who hunts through the bush with rod already set up then having the reels bail arm set like that is so cool and for the obvious reasons. :eyebrow: And like Nobby said it makes the spring last forever, can also be good to release the drag knob too when the reel is not in use. :Hat:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Ljm183 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:21 am
Nobby wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:36 am That's it...makes the spring last forever!
Nobby I think you will find the 40 and some of the other Cardinal models have 2 bail return springs. 1 either side. :Thumb:
Yes Ljm183 this one has. Noticed that when I took apart to clean it.

:Hat:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Thanks Nobby. :Hat:

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

I'm sure this exists elsewhere but I took a few pics this morning in case anyone finds them useful.
Russ

Last edited by Luga00 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Luga00 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:12 am I'm sure this exists elsewhere but I took a few pics this morning in case anyone finds them useful.
Russ
Thank you Russ. This will be very helpful. :Thumb:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Brilliant! Great if you have a bit left on the table after a re-build........:-)

Return to “ABU Reels”