ABU CARDINAL 40

The ABU Reels forum.
Shropshire Lad
Perch

Re: ABU CARDINAL 40

Post by Shropshire Lad »

I use my cardinal 40 for barbel fishing, I think it is a cracking little reel, I much prefer the drag system at the rear of the reel and it is wonderfully smooth, some people say they look better on glass rods than cane, but I use mine on my sharps cane and I think it looks just fine.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Shropshire Lad wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:31 pm I use my cardinal 40 for barbel fishing, I think it is a cracking little reel, I much prefer the drag system at the rear of the reel and it is wonderfully smooth, some people say they look better on glass rods than cane, but I use mine on my sharps cane and I think it looks just fine.
Thats good to hear Shropshire Lad. I am going to use mine on my Chapman 550 Mk.IV carp rod, fishing for Carp. I must admit it has really grown on me.

:fishing1:
Last edited by Tonytoned on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAA

Post by JAA »

The worst thing about the '40 is the rather harsh noise of the drag - I put some thin strips of high density foam on the inside of the plastic cover and it sweetened the noise quite a bit.

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

I use two on my mk4 carp rods it’s because of the noise of the ratchet is so loud it alerts me to the run (deaf right ear) even though I’m right handed great carp reels :fish: I think they look the part on my cane rods also :fishing1: mike

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Great reels, all built to last, my 44's have a Rolls Royce of a clutch simply stunning fixed spoolers. I am sure you will enjoy using your newly acquired '40'.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

This is an interesting thread! In the early seventies, fed up with a Black Prince that was falling apart, I saved up from my paper round (and even baby-sitting as a substitute for my sister) and bought a Mitchell 308, which I found to be a magnificent reel. I soon added two Mitchell 300's to my tackle box, which were also superb. I used to look longingly at the ABU 44s and 66s in Tight Lines, but they were so expensive. The matchmen all used ABU 506's for trotting but Mitchells for swing-tipping. Who cared about adjustable rear drag when you could back wind? Rotating that 300 gear set would tire most fish fairly quickly. The only Cardinals I saw were on display, and rarely sold, in tackle shops. Back then, I didn't know the Cardinal 40 existed.

Forty years later, in the online markets for used tackle, the original Cardinals had become quite affordable and, knowing how well-made (I don't believe in the word `over-engineered') they were, I bought a 44, a 66 and a 77 (actually the Zebco equivalents) just to see what they were like. Even to a Mitchell afficionado, they're delightful. Now, on any given outing, if conditions aren't right for the Rapidex, it's a toss-up between a Mitchell and a Cardinal. We're spoilt for choice!

Enjoy your Cardinal 40. It looks like a gem.

G. B.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Apologies for not coming back sooner men, lots of work to do.

The Cardinal 40 is exactly what some have said, simply a budget reel of its time, its quite a tall reel but has a great feature in the rear drag system.

The reason of its noisy drag is simply that the coverplate is made of plastic which was one of the reasons it was a budget reel, also had plastic spool and drag knob (a cheaper plastic) if you think that the 40 was noisy then you should wind a salesman reel :Hahaha: a totally different plastic used for the cover plate made it sound like a football rattle :Chuckle: It also had a fair bit of zinc in it to, not the finest metal used for gears.

This is the salesman reel which is just a cover plate on a 40 body, the original plate was all blue like the rest of the reel

Regarding the 44 and 66, I have had many a conversation with some of you gents regarding these reels over the table at Redditch, while the 44 is on par with a Mitchell 300 size wise only the 66 is more like a 306, next level reel for spinning for pike or carp fishing, of the two I would use the 44 for a majority of my fishing but if it came to distance fishing for Carp or weir fishing for Pike then the 66 would be my go to reel.

A couple of the things about the 66 is its plastic trip, once used a fair bit you may notice a click or ticking on the rotor where the bail doesn't trip properly, there is a temporary fix for this but really the plastic trip part needs replacing, there is also the shallow oscillation of the spool, doesn't give the best line lay on a reel. If like me you like a smoother more refined reel the Abu Cardinal 6X is just another world, in a time period the original 66 was released in 1965, one of the best reels is the 1975 model 66 but by 1977 the 6X was released and was a really super user reel, gone was the plastic trip and the line lay was very good. As for the 44? most of them are superb in most ways as long as the bearings are good and the bail springs have been looked at, sometimes they can be a bit sloppy but if you loosen the screw (dont remove it completely) and flush out any dust with a good amount of WD40 you will think you have replaced the springs for new ones.

As for the Cardinal 55, in my honest opinion the best dam reel Abu ever made, in a couple of years time my reels will be 40 years old and the only thing replaced on them is the handle, replaced the original ones, which I kept, for the bigger Cardinal 57 handles, they work so easy especially this time of year when its cold on the fingers but also when you have size 15 hands like I do, much easier to grab hold of and very easy should you wish to crank a fish through the water should you need to. The reels are also still in use to this very day :cheers:

For those who are new to the forum I have done articles on the forum for all of these reels

Cardinal 44 life history viewtopic.php?f=214&t=21879

And the Cardinall 66 history viewtopic.php?f=214&t=22757

Any questions always happy to help :Hat:
Last edited by BeechmereLake on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

As usual there is a few clips from youtube regarding these wonderful reels from Sweden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GVPz_o8Gzk Cardinal 40

The wonderful sound of a Cardinal 44 1971 being used by the maestro himself, the video will play from where it needs to when you click the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbkEN51f8rw&t=2885s
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Mitch300 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:43 am This is an interesting thread! In the early seventies, fed up with a Black Prince that was falling apart, I saved up from my paper round (and even baby-sitting as a substitute for my sister) and bought a Mitchell 308, which I found to be a magnificent reel. I soon added two Mitchell 300's to my tackle box, which were also superb. I used to look longingly at the ABU 44s and 66s in Tight Lines, but they were so expensive. The matchmen all used ABU 506's for trotting but Mitchells for swing-tipping. Who cared about adjustable rear drag when you could back wind? Rotating that 300 gear set would tire most fish fairly quickly. The only Cardinals I saw were on display, and rarely sold, in tackle shops. Back then, I didn't know the Cardinal 40 existed.

Forty years later, in the online markets for used tackle, the original Cardinals had become quite affordable and, knowing how well-made (I don't believe in the word `over-engineered') they were, I bought a 44, a 66 and a 77 (actually the Zebco equivalents) just to see what they were like. Even to a Mitchell afficionado, they're delightful. Now, on any given outing, if conditions aren't right for the Rapidex, it's a toss-up between a Mitchell and a Cardinal. We're spoilt for choice!

Enjoy your Cardinal 40. It looks like a gem.

G. B.
Thank you you so much Mitchell 300. Will post images of my captures..... "Hopefully".

:Hat:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

BeechmereLake wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:52 am Apologies for not coming back sooner men, lots of work to do.

The Cardinal 40 is exactly what some have said, simply a budget reel of its time, its quite a tall reel but has a great feature in the rear drag system.

The reason of its noisy drag is simply that the coverplate is made of plastic which was one of the reasons it was a budget reel, also had plastic spool and drag knob (a cheaper plastic) if you think that the 40 was noisy then you should wind a salesman reel :Hahaha: a totally different plastic used for the cover plate made it sound like a football rattle :Chuckle: It also had a fair bit of zinc in it to, not the finest metal used for gears.

This is the salesman reel which is just a cover plate on a 40 body, the original plate was all blue like the rest of the reel

Regarding the 44 and 66, I have had many a conversation with some of you gents regarding these reels over the table at Redditch, while the 44 is on par with a Mitchell 300 size wise only the 66 is more like a 306, next level reel for spinning for pike or carp fishing, of the two I would use the 44 for a majority of my fishing but if it came to distance fishing for Carp or weir fishing for Pike then the 66 would be my go to reel.

A couple of the things about the 66 is its plastic trip, once used a fair bit you may notice a click or ticking on the rotor where the bail doesn't trip properly, there is a temporary fix for this but really the plastic trip part needs replacing, there is also the shallow oscillation of the spool, doesn't give the best line lay on a reel. If like me you like a smoother more refined reel the Abu Cardinal 6X is just another world, in a time period the original 66 was released in 1965, one of the best reels is the 1975 model 66 but by 1977 the 6X was released and was a really super user reel, gone was the plastic trip and the line lay was very good. As for the 44? most of them are superb in most ways as long as the bearings are good and the bail springs have been looked at, sometimes they can be a bit sloppy but if you loosen the screw (dont remove it completely) and flush out any dust with a good amount of WD40 you will think you have replaced the springs for new ones.

As for the Cardinal 55, in my honest opinion the best dam reel Abu ever made, in a couple of years time my reels will be 40 years old and the only thing replaced on them is the handle, replaced the original ones, which I kept, for the bigger Cardinal 57 handles, they work so easy especially this time of year when its cold on the fingers but also when you have size 15 hands like I do, much easier to grab hold of and very easy should you wish to crank a fish through the water should you need to. The reels are also still in use to this very day :cheers:

For those who are new to the forum I have done articles on the forum for all of these reels

Cardinal 44 life history viewtopic.php?f=214&t=21879

And the Cardinall 66 history viewtopic.php?f=214&t=22757

Any questions always happy to help :Hat:
Thank you for your time and interesting information BeechmereLake. Great read! I will look at the videos tonight, at work at the moment.

:Hat:

Return to “ABU Reels”