Mooching reel?

The ABU Reels forum.
SharkBoy
Perch

Mooching reel?

Post by SharkBoy »

Hi guys I have read recently that a Diplomat Mooching reel makes a good close in carp centrepin reel? What is a mooching reel? I would love to find out cheers

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Mooching reel?

Post by Olly »

Cab Callaway's - Minnie the Moocher! Superb song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7ogK_unbqM Not bad for an septuagenarian!

From Wikipedia:-
Minnie "The Moocher" has died. She was a familiar figure In downtown Indianapolis. A 82-year-old woman whose real name was Minnie Gayton, she acquired the quaint nickname of "The Moocher" by regularly begging food from grocers and carting it off in a baby buggy. She slept in doorways, on porches and in garages. During the record-breaking blizzard, her body was found on a porch, blanketed with snow. She died from exposure.[5]

So mooching appears to derive from begging!?

OldAngler
Perch

Post by OldAngler »

I have heard of Mooching as a method of catching Steelhead in western Canada.

As I understand it is a bit like our trotting, but using heavier tackle including a centrepin made for the purpose and using large worms as bait. I believe that Dave Lewthwaite of Lewtham Engineering, used to make such reels especially for the Canadian market.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have heard of and seen for sale in the UK Canadian mooching reels made by Islander - high line capacity reels.

Return to “ABU Reels”