ABU 500 SERIES CLOSED FACE REEL

The ABU Reels forum.
BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

ABU 500 SERIES CLOSED FACE REEL

Post by BeechmereLake »

OK so a gluten for punishment after doing the Cardinal post Im going to try and cover all the ABU closed face reels in the 500 series for you here, its going to be a big post but I will try and get it all in one so its almost like reading a book for you all, you will need to bare with me on this men :eyebrow:

So first off came the Abu 505 1 st version which dated from 1962, it first came with no serial number and no steel liner inside the cowling, there was also many differences in the reels workings like the main gear shaft, the locking nut on the handle and the fact it had dust cap around the handle port. The spool also had variations.

The same reel was available for the American market in the shape of the GARCIA 505, same identical reel just a different sticker and the box and paperwork was different.

The second version 505 had the steel liner put inside the cowling to re-enforce the cowlings edge, without it Abu came across problems with the original chipping or cracking which in turn broke or snagged the main line from the reel. Box was the same for this reel and again no serial number to speak of.

In 1968 the reel remained the same but the box color and shape changed, it went from the black and red box to an all green box and oddly came without a spare spool.

One thing many may not know is that ABU made K boxes or a kit box, I have only ever seen one and I owned it, was a presentation prize for someone in the USA, it had a rod, reel, reel pouch, lure box with lures in , some grease and a book to read, a seriously rare item.

In the 1970's the reel also took a change of paint, it went from the crinkly finish to a smooth painted finish which was probably a good way to keep the reel free from dirt and ground bait, there was also a sticker change too and the box went from green to blue.The handle was also changed from red to black smooth paint finish. This packaging and reel went on until 1979 and the only change was the box shape, became better known as the squat box.

During the earlier years of the 505 (1968) Abu released the 503 (520 for Garcia) came in the green box like the 505, a rare reel and box combination to find, again just like the 505 it went through the smooth paint finish and a box change to a blue box, it also went on a little later than the 505 as a 503 fishes box was found which would date the reel to 1981-82.

Below you can also see these reels were made for the American market, the early reel with crinkle paint finish had the really deep gold cowling
while the later smooth paint finish had a lighter more copper color cowling, the two differences in the reels. The first picture shows the 1968 European version of the 503 with Svangsta sticker on the side plate, look how gold the cowling is on this beauty

With the 1970's fast approaching and flying by Abu then made the 506 & 507, both came in the green card box and the 507 was also made for the American market though the yanks found the reel something of a poor mans reel, realy :Hahaha:

This reel was again the European version, the reel for the American market had a red Garcia sticker on the box and paper work but also had a red "G" on the drag knob found mainly on Abumatics. Both the 507 and 506 came along in 1972

With the 507 the version you see above actually had the 506 handle on it so it would fit in the poly box properly, later when it went over to the blue box the handle was actually longer. This bit of info is important for those who may want to collect there reels and wonder why the box wont close without the handle making a hole in the lid.

Reels stayed pretty much the same in the 70's and the 506 was one of them, variations in the finish color of the cowling was one thing and a sticker change when they removed the name Svangsta from their first reel in the green card box. The reel was sold in new packaging with the box being blue in color, there was also a slight color change in the cowling, the early reel was very dark grey to look at.
Also below is the first attempt to make a chenille to prevent line from getting under the winding bell, it was pretty pathetic as it turns out as the plastic would just become brittle and break.

Image.

1973 saw Abu's first step into and sole "lefty" closed face reel in the shape of the 508, a rare reel to find in a box, never was changed at all and was finished in 1982, again for any collector it means both the 507 and 508 were available in the fish box.

In 1978 the 506M came through, this reel was purely aimed at the match angler with the reel using a well made shallow plastic spool with the red chenille around the base to prevent line from getting tangled under the winding bell, with all the previous models like the 505,503, 506, 507 and 508 metal spools were used only on the 1974 506 spool did the plastic chenille base ring come into use, they did exact same thing with the Cardinal 44 eXpress, really was a horrid attempt to make reels usable for Match anglers that was until this reel came around. We can add also the 501 to this stable of reel, again aimed purely at the match angler but this time using a complete different set of internals so the reel functioned different to all the others when using the drag system. This reel too used the shallow spool with red chenille but for me was the weakest geared reel of all, works in a great way but the materials used to make the gears really were poor and the major issue was when taking off the winding bell, often or not the winding bell would stick and be a nightmare to remove, many tried to remove them only to get a graunching sound as the main gear turned on the pinion gear half stripping the teeth off of the main gear, this in effect would make the reel feel rough in a certain area when wound and give you a horrid noise on the reel. I thought I had cured it one day using a winding bell from a 506 but alas that failed when I tried to put the cowling back on, the original 501 winding bell is shallower than the 506 and so when the reel was wound the winding bell would stick in the top of the cowling :x

Below are some pictures of the 506M you can see clearly a difference in the cowlings, as far as I know the only change the reel had apart from the boxes

I did have several great pictures of the 501 but they were lost when the hard drive went bang, I will see what I can find to cover them and yes they will be my pictures folks.

Its here folks I would like to say THE END but we all know that wont happen, next up "SERVICE REELS" :Thumb:
Last edited by BeechmereLake on Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 20 times in total.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Stuart Whiting

Re: ABU 500 SERIES CLOSED FACE REEL

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Oh yes this will be an interesting thread,

Me personally I'm not a lover of the 505 being to unreliable on the clutch from personal experience and have tried this with several 505's and we're all the same unfortunately, even the 506's was unreliable aswell unless the anti reverse pawl was removed for the use of backwind.

Can't wait till you get to the 501 as this is the all time trotting reel for me, I've used these for years without no problem what so ever and never have the fear of breaking up and losing fish as all my fish are simply played by backwinding,

Once I learnt the art of properly backwinding many years ago I was reluctant to wanna use any other reel,

I've just recently bought two immaculate 501's this week for this very reason, my last 501's I gave away to a couple of freinds but definitely won't be making the same mistake this time :doh:

I do like the quality pics that you've done, some of the best I've seen for a long while, makes all the difference to the thread, well done :Hat:

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I have a 506 and 501, so I'm hoping you cover these one day, but I'll permit you a lie down after the two mammoth posts you've just done.

The only thing I find with closed face reels is trapping the line when I cast. With an open face I trap the line on the rim of the spool with my middle finger, but find it awkward to release the bail and trap the line one handed with closed face reels. Hope I explained that clearly. I still use them, but mainly the Shakespeare Wonderspin.

Great post again BM.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

What a lovely collection you have, thanks for taking the time to write about them, I've never used a closed face reel, must give one a try, is there one you would recommend for a newbie? :Hat:

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Paul D wrote:What a lovely collection you have, thanks for taking the time to write about them, I've never used a closed face reel, must give one a try, is there one you would recommend for a newbie? :Hat:
Hi Paul,

Basically mate you won't go far wrong with the 501 or the 507,

The 501 is what I've always used and is the easiest to use when playing a fish, there is a tension thumb wheel on the handle a little bit of a turn from this will counteract on how much line pressure is being taken whilst backwinding,
Very simple to use and to me is definitely the reel for when fishing very light lines IE when fishing for roach that have very soft mouths :Thumb:

For general all round fishing the 507 has a good reputation aswell but for me the 501 without any hesitation is the best that I've used.

Beechmerelake I'm sure will explaine more details to you :Hat:

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Preference is always an individual thing, I have used nearly every closed face reel there is to use, all the ABU's, Dams Shakespeare's and best of all the Daiwa reels, right now I have 6 Daiwa 120M reels and for me are the best closed face reel for me, if I had to recommend any this reel would be the first then the 507, as a Match reel its great because of the spool size, then the 506M without the A/R dog inside it. The 501 is a great reel and the way the back wind works is fine once you get used to it, only fault with them is every now and then the winding cup becomes unmovable, you grip it as hard as you can to undo it ten all of a sudden you get this wonderful noise of teeth grinding against each other as the main gear spins round against the pinion gear, once this is done so is the reel, trying to find replacement gears for a 501 is like trying to find teeth on a chicken, a couple did come up this year but went in an instant, lucky person who got them. Sadly as the ABU 500 series became long in the tooth so did some of the materials they used and for me, the 501 gears were too fine and very soft, I have had many of them with mostly all of them having a knock in the gears when you wound them, find a new in box one then your on a winner just be careful how you use it.
Another reel not to over look is the 1044, built well though a bit heavier than the early reels.

"BB"

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have one of those 507 Mk2 Gold max reels with a spare spool and admit I have not used it yet, it was given to me when a neighbour passed away. Have you used one of those please BL and any suggestions as to its best purposes.... and please don't say to help fill the bin! Thank you.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Sadly not the best made reel but I have used one, a good friend of mine had two and we were fishing a match stretch of the Thames, he really was getting into some bream and roach fishing a stick float over his feeder line but then he had a problem with the reel internally, story short he threw it in the river when he was done shouting at it :Hahaha: I offered him the other back and he said keep it :eyebrow:
So keep it I did and to be honest it broke due to me dropping it on a concrete path, the thread on the winding bell snapped and it was sold for parts.
Was a nice enough reel though nowhere near as good as the 507MK1. :Thumb:
As for using it? place it on a nice spliced tip rod for stick float fishing or even on a waggler rod for close to medium work.

"BB"

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Thank you BL that is much appreciated, I thought that it may not be the best of reels, but nice to hear from someone who has experienced its use first hand. :Hat:

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Yes, a common complaint with fine lines, when you think back though these reels were never designed to be match reels until the first 506 with plastic chenille in 1974, they were all spinning reels and designed to use heavy lines for bigger fish, even the 507 and 508 were sold as Salmon Carp or Pike reels. Have to say many anglers dont realize the angle of the line when they open the reel to cast or trott down the river if the spool is sat out at its furthest point right under the winding bell, the line is almost going back on itself when trying to be released. A simple thing to do is when the spool is at the bottom of its oscillation or closest to the housing remove the handle, put the handle back on the reel so that its sat like 6.30 on a clock face, as long as you put the handle is this position every time you cast the line will come off the reel a lot easier, will also help if you treat your line with turbo juice before using it. :Hat:

"BB"

Return to “ABU Reels”