Life of a Cardinal 44 into a 4

The ABU Reels forum.
Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Re: Life of a Cardinal 44 into a 4

Post by Chris Bettis »

Thanks for your post concerning my favourite reels. The only two fixed spool reels I still own and use are the Cardinal 3 and 4 models. Superb reels that I think will last for ever. Both as smooth as silk after years of use.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

There has always been 2 stand out things for me regarding the 60's and 70's Cardinals, powerful bail arms and smoothness when you wind them, double bail springs make them powerful to use and the worm gear/main gear system is near faultless, OK some will say about line lay and the short stroke on oscillation of the spool but lets face it thats now, today, people were not saying that back in the 70's thats for sure. If I could name two things that let the Cardinals down it would be paint finish and bearings.
In the first picture of the post you will see two 1st version 44's, the reel with the black sticker is now, after I rebuilt it, the smoothest reel I own and Im not talking about my collection, im talking about my, dare I say it, modern day Daiwa match reels which cost several hundred pounds each, they are like winding fresh air or an imaginary reel, this 44 is just like that, credit where its due these Cardinals are a beautiful reel. :eyebrow:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

BL , I have an Abu Cardinal C5 .. Is there anything that you can tell me about this reel please .

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

This is a great post!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Have to say after 1982 I drew the line with Cardinals, they were soon to be built in Japan with the involvement of Garcia, the company Abu bought in 1980, and the quality started to go from the reels, I know these reels do have a bit of a cult following, mainly Japanese. There are a few models of these reels but the C5X special is as good as the older Cardinals, this reel has the off white rotor and wooden handle with worm gear drive printed down the handle shank, finished in the abu green on the body, a very solid reel, the others like the C5X BLACK I found were like my 755's, a bit plasticy and full of zinc, didn't keep the 755's for too long and never took a great deal of interest in Abu's after that.
I would try and find the Abu tight lines catalog for the year your reel was made, there would be info in there for you to keep, I bought a set of Napp Oct Nytts, the Swedish equivalent to the tight lines catalogs, this way I have everything they made in picture form accept for the odd reel made solely for the UK. If I find any info for you I will send it on.

"BB"

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Many thanks for your offer re 44s! Have recently acquired 2 Aerial Populars ---- I now need to save up a bit!! But I am sure I will "be calling".

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Thanks for that post BeachmereLake. I love that transparent sideplate. I lent My Son My 444 to fish with a few weeks ago and it came back with the bail arm fallen off. I think I'll have to find a new bail screw to fix it. :rant:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

Many thanks for that info BL . I think I'm correct in thinking that Bob James used a couple of C5's in a carp fishing scene in A Passion For Angling .........

The mechanics inside the reel have to be seen to be believed , just like a Swiss watch .. Shame is I rarely have cause to use it today .

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Kingfisher wrote:Thanks for that post BeachmereLake. I love that transparent sideplate. I lent My Son My 444 to fish with a few weeks ago and it came back with the bail arm fallen off. I think I'll have to find a new bail screw to fix it. :rant:
I would like to say they are easy to find but they're not, I have just spent a year trying to find a bail arm for a 444, the early black and white reel, thinking the later green and cream reel was identical I bought a parts reel, never fitted so back to the drawing board on that one.
If your reel is a green and cream one I may have a screw you can have, trouble is right now its at my mates house and he is in Intensive care, let me know how you get on.

"BB"

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Thanks BeechmereLake, I've decided to go back to the pool and search the bank where my boy was sitting. I was up there a week ago but forgot to look. I don't hold out much hope of finding it but you never know until you try.

I hope your friend gets better soon. :Hat:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Return to “ABU Reels”