Eel

Re: Life of a Cardinal 44 into a 4

Post by Crucian »

Thanks for a great thread, very informative :Hat:

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

CWK wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:53 am Hi BL , I have an Abu C5 which is engineered like a Swiss watch ... A beautiful example of fishing reel technology .. Can you please tell me something about where it sits in the Abu reel dynasty ..
The C5 is a later reel manufactured in around 1984-5, there was a special edition done in cream and green paintwork with wooden handle knob, very well built reels but of course made in Japan, when you talk about Cardinals its nice that they are actually made in Sweden which is why 1983 is a cut off point for me, when the name Garcia was added to the reel and not just the box I was done with Abu. :Scared:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Gents, I have finally secured the rare Abu Cardinal 4X in Champagne paintwork, a hard reel to find but even harder to find in such good used condition, I have added the picture to the history lesson at the front of the post but so you dont need to go through it all again here is the reel sitting left of picture, this reel was made for less than a year before the paint finish was changed to the ceramic type paint. :dancing:

"BB"

Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Beechmere, thank you for your informative post.

I became the owner of a Cardinal 44x along with a 40 model A in a mixed batch of fishing tackle I recently collected.
20180801_192135-02-01.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Always a pleasure Leigh. I will still post the odd reel now and then and any info I have to give but Im really into a different hobby now so dont come in too much, alas the dark nights are here and if people post I will reply. :Hat:

"BB"

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Fascinating stuff. Enjoyable read with a a cuppa. Thanks.
I have a theory, unsupported by anything as boring as evidence, that the life of what we now call classic reels go in an arc.
From development and manufacture, later versions (early) are changed because of improvement. That is, as better materials or design ideas come along, they are incorporated into the reel.
Lucky owners get the benefit of a reel that probably didn't make much profit for the company that made them.
At some point cost becomes an issue, leading to outsourcing, cheaper materials and the usual grumbles that they aren't a patch on the originals. Which is true.
Muggins like me always end up with the inferior versions. And usually overpay.
Useful guides like this are extremely helpful. Thanks again.
All the best.
Will.

John Milford
Perch

Post by John Milford »

No apologies for resurrecting this excellent thread!

Firstly, because such repositories of knowledge are something I've found completety fascinating in the short while I've been on board - and secondly because I'm excited about my latest purchase.

A Cardinal 4X, for less than £40!

I've yet to take delivery and it looks in need of a spruce up - not least because some philistine has written on it in black marker pen! :Hair out:

That will go one of two ways - either it will wipe off easily with WD40, or else it has penetrated the paint. Fingers crossed. 🤞

Here are some 'before' pictures. (Hopefully it will look better in some 'after' ones in a few days time. :Beg: ).

Screenshot_20230906-212816_Photos~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

SooperClooper
Silver Bream

Post by SooperClooper »

Still got my Cardinal 4X, totally unmarked and still gets the odd outing, super smooth and whisper quiet with the anti reverse engaged.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

4lb - I presume is the spool line! After a good clean it will be - I hope - pristine.

John Milford
Perch

Post by John Milford »

Mine arrived today - and the marker pen came off relatively easily - phew!

Very smooth running and with only a few little scuffs and nicks, so not at all bad for a 45 year-old reel. The spare shallow spool was a bonus. :Thumb:

Screenshot_20230909-133425_Photos~2.jpg
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Return to “ABU Reels”