ABU CARDINAL 6X (Ray Moss)

The ABU Reels forum.
BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

ABU CARDINAL 6X (Ray Moss)

Post by BeechmereLake »

Well I bought a reel from a well known dealer a few weeks ago, the reel was a Cardinal 6X, not a reel you see that often, advertised as spares or repairs I bought it for spares, thought seeing the foot was in a mess with a chunk missing out of it I could either make a parts reel from it as my good friend Les Shaw had a spare housing for one or just break it for parts.
Reel arrived and after some serious thinking I decided against using the NOS parts housing to fix it and sent it to the best reel restorer I know, another good friend Ray Moss. After chatting with Ray about the repairs to the reel he said the foot was not a problem and the rotor was nearly as good as original, the rest of the reel though is done in Ceramic paint and has a black fleck in it, something he can reproduce, in the end I said oh just do it all in the same colour as the rotor, this he did and here is a reel that even felt like a scrapper but is now winding like the day it was made in Sweden.
This is something special I think and congratulations Ray for your wonderful work, looks stunning how we chose to do it. :Hat:

This was how I bought it

This is it now, stunning if you ask me

Last edited by BeechmereLake on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: ABU CARDINAL 6X

Post by Tengisgol »

Nope, sorry, that incredible piece of art is not the same item as in the first picture.

Nope, no way.

:mrgreen:
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Sorry Tengisgol but it is, the guy is a magician with his refurbs and after taking some time off from doing them is back doing what he does best, he recently did a half bail Mitchell and even down to the engraving looking factory the reel was another to be proud of especially since it was going in the bin. :Cool:

"BB"

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

That's fabulous, Does he take commissions? :Hat:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

BeechmereLake wrote:Sorry Tengisgol but it is, the guy is a magician with his refurbs and after taking some time off from doing them is back doing what he does best, he recently did a half bail Mitchell and even down to the engraving looking factory the reel was another to be proud of especially since it was going in the bin. :Cool:
He is a wizard I would say! Some of the artistry that we are lucky enough to see on TFF is just mind-blowing and this is right at the very top.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Paul D wrote:That's fabulous, Does he take commissions? :Hat:
Ray will take work on if asked, he has done many reels for members here before, I can ask him to reply to you if you wish, he is a member here on the forum.
I also commissioned my pearl white reel from him which again is a true work of art

"BB"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Ray is a top bloke and has breathed life into many ABU's.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

An inspired choice of colour and a stunning piece of work. :Hat:
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

That's quite wonderful BL, if you could ask him to contact me I would be most grateful. :Hat:

Abumossy
Stickleback

Post by Abumossy »

Hi thanks for the good feedback, really appreciate it,get pleasure fron restoring classic reels that need a new life
instead of being scrapped,if you need any restoration just contact me,as i am now retired i dont do this to make money it is my hobby i love.
Thanks beechmerelake
Ray

Return to “ABU Reels”