The Okuma Kennet

This forum is for recording reel specifications.
Luga00
Brown Trout

Re: The Okuma Kennet

Post by Luga00 »

I believe the Kennet is essentially the Sheffield with a line guard.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I have got an Okuma reel and I like it

but surely the "traditional anglers forum" is about traditional/old tackle to include modern versions made in the old style (like Barder etc etc) and not Chinese/far eastern copies?

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I have a modern JW Young's Rapidex... Does its age make it any less traditional...? It's a centre pin... In my eyes a traditional reel... :-P
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

The Okuma Kennet is the only centrepin I now use for long trotting (I do use ABU closed-faced reels some of the time). I have quite a few vintage centrepins which I have used in the past but nowadays don't risk on the river bank.

It is at least as good or better than other centrepins two or more times the price the price. I can't really fault it. It's a nice looking reel with a light, low inertia spool and is very free running. A light float on the water will pull the line off the reel with ease which is the real test of a centrepin as far as I'm concerned.

The only difference between the Kennet and Sheffield is the line guide which I prefer.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I refer you to the Forums welcome....

http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... f=26&t=514

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

In these days when many anglers regard fishing as the process of heaving out large weights of fish from an over-stocked puddle, I think that trotting a float down a river is as traditional a method as you can get. You can use floats made from traditional materials with absolutely no disadvantage however, you wouldn't fish for long if you where holding the 17ft and 20ft rods, that I sometimes use, if they were made of traditional materials. I think you would also struggle with silk line and gut!

On a number of occasions I've met guys on the river bank who have told me that they are "fed up of fishing on carp puddles" and "have come for a bit of proper fishing".

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Bluelabel wrote:I have a modern JW Young's Rapidex... Does its age make it any less traditional...? It's a centre pin... In my eyes a traditional reel... :-P
perhaps its my "day job" in engineering trying to fight off the far eastern stuff that makes me oversensitive and to (perhaps unfairly) support the old or at least home produced stuff

my Okuma is nice and works well

Return to “Reel Data Archive”