Fox Stratos “Bob James”.

This forum is for recording reel specifications.
Rod
Grayling

Fox Stratos “Bob James”.

Post by Rod »

Reel Specifications for The Fox Stratos “Bob James”.
Reel Type: centrepin.
Reel Size: 5" {127mm}.
Reel Weight: 257.8 {9.09oz}.
Bearings Type: Bearing, with fish oil?.
Drum dia: 4" {100mm}.
Drum Circumference: 12.56" {314.15mm}.
Drum Depth: 1/2" {13mm}.
Spool Width: 1" {26mm}.
Spool Weight: 156.9g {5.52oz}.
Type/Length of Foot: 2-5/8" {67mm}.
Handles Fitted: yes {removable}.
Handle Distance: 4-3/8” {110mm}.
Line-guard: no.
Ratchet Type: Rim lever operated.
Drag: Yes.
Special Features: Hole in drum for line fixing.
Colour/Finish: Dark Bronze Anodised.
Stamp/Logo: Gold script "Bob James, Fox ", plus Kingfisher.
D.O.M:.

Please note the weight/line retrieval ratio of this reel, compered to other large diameter reels.
Last edited by Rod on Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Fox Stratos “Bob James”.

Post by Nobby »

Are you sure this reel has no bearings?

I ask because the two I have handled have rumbled like a locomotive and I think I can see a nasty little Chinese bearing lubricated with fish oil, no doubt, in your picture.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Wasn't it produced alongside the Mainline Purist? That has a bearing as does this one unless I'm very much mistaken.

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Will get it out and look at it again, (the reel that is :Chuckle: )
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Having got it out, and played with it, I must admit to being a bit hasty in my assessment of its lack of bearings, I have amended the list, and do appreciate the advice given, please don't hesitate to put me right if you see any other irregularities, :surrender:

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Nobby, I think with all these Chinese produced reels, it is pot luck as to the quality, the one pictured here, is as smooth as silk, spins forever, and actually has no sharp edges. I like it cos of it's weight to retrieve ratio, not being able to run up and down the bankside, I find this great for Tench and small to medium carp, but I will admit, being slightly deaf as well, I cant hear the ratchet, it is so soft, it's almost has if it has been added as an afterthought. Again, Nobby and Dave, thanks for the heads up, I will check more carefully next time, but those crafty Chinese caught me out this time, I should have realised the use of a circlip meant a bearing was present, but the "fish oil" really surprised me :Hahaha:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Rod wrote:Having got it out, and played with it, I must admit to being a bit hasty in my assessment of its lack of bearings, I have amended the list, and do appreciate the advice given, please don't hesitate to put me right if you see any other irregularities, :surrender:
Don't worry, Nobby won't :Chuckle:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Dave: Pish!

The fact that the two I've handled rumbled, Rod, might reflect why they were both up for sale :Hahaha:

Not a bad time to mention that one can buy just about any bearing here in the UK, in a variety of qualities. Those Marco Cortesi reels often had nasty bearings.....mine did and that's how I got to smell the 'fishy' oil in them :roll: I didn't myself, but you can actually buy ceramic bearings in their size...£11 each though!!

I use these chaps for all my bearings:

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/?gclid ... tAodWC4AEA

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

I've just put that site on my favourites, thanks Nobby.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I`ve got the Young's version which is much, if not the same, not so much rumbling, but you cannot mistake that they have bearings. If you turn the centre pin from a normal vertical position to side position as in trotting, then the bearings sound different. As opposed to a conventional pin which prefers the side position, to float on the tip of the pin/adjusting screw. I was once told by a centre pin manufacturer, that the bearing pin would preform better in the vertical as the bearing was designed to do this, as opposed to a pin, which performs better on its side, but the bearings pin on its side has greater side pressure effecting the performance of the bearing....

Return to “Reel Data Archive”