Bob James Kingpin

This forum is for recording reel specifications.
Rod
Grayling

Bob James Kingpin

Post by Rod »

Reel Specifications for The Bob James Kingpin.
Reel Type: centrepin.
Reel Size: 4-1/2" {114mm}.
Reel Weight: 293.9g {10.37oz}.
Bearings Type: Bearings.
Drum dia: 3-1/2 " {88mm}.
Drum circumference: 10.99" {276.46mm}.
Drum Depth: 1/2" {13mm}.
Spool Width: 7/8" {22mm}.
Spool Weight: ?.
Type/Length of Foot: 2-3/4" {69mm}.
Handles Fitted: yes. Fixed.
Handle Distance: 2-3/4” {70mm}.
Line-guard: None.
Ratchet Type: Lever, edge mounted.
Drag: Yes.
Special Features: N/A.
Colour/Finish: Gunmetal Blue Anodised.
Stamp/Logo: White rod and Kingfisher, Bob James, plus “Kingpin”.
D.O.M:?

What follows, is some what confusing, if true:

“Hi me again
Just to say my Bob James Kingpin looks exactly the same as in the photos kindly provided by Paul Whiting except for certainly one maybe two differences.
Firstly my model looks to be much more bluish in colour rather than the silvery sheen model in the photos. Secondly in the photos under the Bob James name and logo it states "Kingfisher" whereas my states "Kingpin".
Mine also has exactly the same manufacturers details at the bottom of the back plate as shown in the photos. What I am interested in finding out is why I read on "Fishing Magic Forums" one contributor states that the owner of Arnold Kingpin Company told him they never commercially sold reels with the Bob James name on them.
If anybody else has further info I would be interested to hear from them.”[/b][/b]

Then there is this:-

“I have a Bob James Arnold Kingpin reel which I purchased from Ringwood Tackle many years ago. Doing some research into the reel I found on another web site, (fishing magic 2010). A forum where a guy stated that only 3 reels were ever made, by Arnold Kingpin with the Bob James name and rod / kingfisher logo as there was a dispute with Bob concerning his share of the proceeds.
He then states that Relum then produced similar reels with the Bob James logo.
On a discontinued BFW page there is a photo of a BJ Arnold Kingpin (mine seems bluer in colour but that may just be the photo).
Does anyone know what the truth is as I am sure I have seen other Arnold Kingpins with the BJ name on them”

And this makes it more confusing:-

The Arnold Kingpin was never endorsed by Bob James, he had his name etched (with a Kingfisher) on the back of the very similar looking reels made by Relum.
The reel that you see Bob using in "Passion For Angling" is in fact a Swallow Centre pin

Arnold Kingpin reels, were originally made by R.Arnold Engineers who are no longer trading, they are now being manufactured to an even higher specification by K W Engineering of Poole, Dorset.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Return to “Reel Data Archive”