Shakespear Centenary Aerial

This forum is for recording reel specifications.
Rod
Grayling

Shakespear Centenary Aerial

Post by Rod »

Specifications for Shakespeare Centenary Aerial.

Reel Type: centrepin.
Reel Size: 4 1/2" {115mm}.
Reel Weight: 225.9g {7.98oz}.
Bearings Type: Bearings.
Drum dia: 3 3/4" {95mm}.
Drum circumference: 11 3/4" {798mm}.
Drum Depth: 3/8" {10mm}.
Spool Width: 3/4" {20mm}.
Spool Weight: 118.4g {4.17oz}.
Type/Length of Foot: 2 1/2" {65mm}.
Handles Fitted: yes {removable}.
Handle Distance: 2 3/4" {70mm} to centres.
Line-guard: no.
Ratchet Type: rear button operated.
Drag: Yes.
Special Features: Wheel type drag.
Colour/Finish: Bronze.
Stamp/Logo: Gold script "Centenary aerial".
D.O.M: Not sure.
Comments :- This was a limited edition of 250, the number, being stamped inside the back plate. It has been suggested that Gary Mills designed this reel, as of yet I can find no definitive history for it’s manufacture.
They were originally sold in a presentation box, with certificate.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Gal
Ruffe

Re: Shakespear Centenary Aerial

Post by Gal »

Garry mills himself told me that he did design this reel when he was working for J W Youngs &
J W Youngs produced the reel on behalf for shakespear.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Blimey, I'd never noticed that they had a compensating drag and Garry cleverly put it on the back of the reel instead of the spool so it can be adjusted whilst trotting.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Nobby, I sold one of these at the last Romsey, it is a nice reel but runs on bearings which puts some people off. I prefer the Hardy Conquest that you suggested, I have loved using it since getting it at the last Redditch. A "true" pin that ticks all of my boxes, thank you!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Yes nobby, it's very clever way of doing it, a rubber wheel touches the inside of the drum, you can see the principle in the photo's, and as you said, it's adjustable whilst using it.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

It has come to my attention, (through the auction site that shall not be mentioned) that there is a Chinese version of this reel, made by Shakespear, not numbered and grey in colour, I will try to find some photo's of it and add to the post.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Each to there own I had one of those a few years ago not impressed with the one I had,fetch good money still

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

I suppose it has to do with who designed it and the low production, I own the one on this thread, but have never used it, I have stuck with a Rapidex and Trudex for centre pin work, and a Mitchell for anything else. Every time I go to the cupboard, it and all my other reels reside in, I promise myself I will get round to selling 95% of them, then I conveniently forget, I suppose that is the mark of a true hoarder, :Hahaha: To be honest all of the modern reels I have listed need to be sold, as they will never get used, and I should shut my eyes and take the leap. At the last count I have three brand new Hardy Conquest's different sizes and colours, just what made me buy them I don't know?

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I think we are all guilty of that one Rod, I think everyone has there favourites the others should just go. The question is when ?

Return to “Reel Data Archive”