Jack Hargreaves in Canterbury

This forum belongs to Jack Hargreaves.
Nailbourne

Jack Hargreaves in Canterbury

Post by Nailbourne »

Jack was Guest of Honour several times at our annual dinner in Canterbury, giving delightful talks after the meal and answering questions.

Also, he brought the 'Out of Town' team down to fish for pike in Vauxhall Lakes - sadly, not what it was, and mostly filled in - and caught a large pike on livebait. Apart from the televised episode, he describes the visit in his book 'The Old Country'.

I'm trying to trace the episode. Does any member have the set of DVDs with it on? It was filmed in the 1960s, almost certainly after 1964.

Any information will be gratefully received!

DaceAce
Eel

Re: Jack Hargreaves in Canterbury

Post by DaceAce »

I'm not aware of that one being preserved. Only about 1 in 16 survived; there were over 800 episodes. I have similar regrets about the loss of an episode where Phil Coles came down to fish the Stour with Jack and Owen Wentworth.

George387
Crucian Carp

Post by George387 »

Nailbourne wrote:Jack was Guest of Honour several times at our annual dinner in Canterbury, giving delightful talks after the meal and answering questions.

Also, he brought the 'Out of Town' team down to fish for pike in Vauxhall Lakes - sadly, not what it was, and mostly filled in - and caught a large pike on livebait. Apart from the televised episode, he describes the visit in his book 'The Old Country'.

I'm trying to trace the episode. Does any member have the set of DVDs with it on? It was filmed in the 1960s, almost certainly after 1964.

Any information will be gratefully received!
Have you tried to contacted his son Simon Baddeley who is now rescuing all his Stepfather's stuff from TV stations etc., they have made a lot of discoveries over the years of jacks films, I follow the progress on another forum I will pose the question to Simon on your behalf :Hat:
Brown Trout maybe Beautiful But Grayling are Gorgeous. "Lets Tackle Cancer" Supporter
The Flee & Float

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

DaceAce wrote:I'm not aware of that one being preserved. Only about 1 in 16 survived; there were over 800 episodes. I have similar regrets about the loss of an episode where Phil Coles came down to fish the Stour with Jack and Owen Wentworth.
I have 27 episoes on DVD,episode 19 is called Stour River :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

George387
Crucian Carp

Post by George387 »

Got this back a few moments ago from another member as it seems Simon is on holiday...
In the absence, so far, of a response from Simon (I'm guessing he's away) I'll attempt to reply.

The "Lost Episodes" DVD set comprises programmes from the final two series of "Out of Town" broadcast in 1980 and 1981, the earliest being from April 1980. The other set, originally released as VHS tapes and recently reissued on DVD by Delta, were made in 1986 with film sequences taken from the archive, some of them the same as in the lost episodes.

The bottom line is that nothing as old as the 1960's exist on any of the available DVDs I'm afraid.

What you are looking for *may* exist in Simon's vast 16mm film collection. The SWFTA catalogue lists a couple of pike fishing segments from 1969.
will keep you updated. :Hat:
Brown Trout maybe Beautiful But Grayling are Gorgeous. "Lets Tackle Cancer" Supporter
The Flee & Float

George387
Crucian Carp

Post by George387 »

Update from Jacks stepson Simon:
All I can see is 'Week 10, 1971, JH468' (see file below) 'sound tape only' and the title 'PIKE'. Thanks for answering this enquiry Ian but as you know, and Jack knew, my stepfather's archive, is a 'mishmash', which is why it's only now and with a lot of help of friends I'm finally, in my 70s, getting round to doing something about it - synching sound tape and film and being creative about filling the gaps (:)). Jack wrote about the pike - several times making the point that unlike prey fish it had its eyes arranged to converge on a prey. As a fellow predator, the pike 'looks you in the eye', which is what can make even a small one scary - that and the inward sloping teeth nd that body so designed to hang still in the water drifting ever closer to an unheeding prey, then with one invisibly swift sweep of that great tail, pounce.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B425ifM ... sp=sharing
The Flee & Float

Nailbourne

Post by Nailbourne »

Super work, George 387 Much obliged for your trouble. I'll check the link you provided and see if it's the one I recognise.

George387
Crucian Carp

Post by George387 »

your welcome, I hope you find what you were looking for :Hat:
The Flee & Float

Return to “Jack Hargreaves”