Jack Hargreaves Float

This forum belongs to Jack Hargreaves.
MrCrabtree
Rudd

Jack Hargreaves Float

Post by MrCrabtree »

With the recent items on the forum concerning Jack Hargreaves DVDs and videos I thought you may be interested in this float made by him.
I obtained the float from a GSC member who was given four floats by Jack in 1994 while signing an original copy of "Fishing for a Year".
The GSC member had this tench antenna float mounted with a photo of Jack and Oliver Kite. He has also given me a letter of provenance describing how he obtained it.

Paul D

Re: Jack Hargreaves Float

Post by Paul D »

Oh that's wonderful, thank you so much for showing that, I often wonder what happened to all Jacks tackle.
Seems members of the GSC are well connected, I to have a rather special float that came via GSC member (long story)... :Hat:

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Very nice float ahead of its time - looks like a Drennan driftbeater!
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

What a wonderful item to own. I almost missed the two tiny slider eyes on the stem. Thanks for posting.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

What a lovely thing to have .

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

A great item, you are very lucky.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Paul D wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:33 pm Oh that's wonderful, thank you so much for showing that, I often wonder what happened to all Jacks tackle.
Seems members of the GSC are well connected, I to have a rather special float that came via GSC member (long story)... :Hat:
Tony Croft, who had a tackle shop, Pro Tackle, in Christchurch, Dorset ( now Hampshire!) has written that he was asked to dispose of Jack's tackle after he passed away, including a small landing net especially made to make the catches look bigger on TV! He put a list in the window and the whole lot was gone in two days!!

I thought that float might be a sider too but then decided the extra 'eyes' might be how it is mounted on the card....???

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Nobby wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:07 am
Paul D wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:33 pm Oh that's wonderful, thank you so much for showing that, I often wonder what happened to all Jacks tackle.
Tony Croft, who had a tackle shop, Pro Tackle, in Christchurch, Dorset ( now Hampshire!) has written that he was asked to dispose of Jack's tackle after he passed away, including a small landing net especially made to make the catches look bigger on TV! He put a list in the window and the whole lot was gone in two days!!

I thought that float might be a sider too but then decided the extra 'eyes' might be how it is mounted on the card....???
You’re absolutely right about the mountings. Sorry I didn’t look close enough :surrender:

MrCrabtree
Rudd

Post by MrCrabtree »

The extra eyes are for mounting on the card and yes Nobby you are right about Jacks's fishing tackle. However a few additional notes for you which I may have forgotten to mention in our phone conversations.
As you are aware I have become good friends with Tony Croft and his wife June. He told me that prior to his assistance in helping Jack's wife Isabel dispose of his fishing tackle, some chap had visited her home saying that Jack had some of his gear and wanted it back. Isabel believed him even though there was no proof any of the items were his.Tony was really annoyed and believes that among the items the chap took was a special landing net Tony had made for Jack. The net was only about a foot across because Jack wanted a landing net which made any roach he caught for TV look actually bigger than they really were!
Also many of the items that Tony sold for Isabel came with letters of provenance signed by her.
Mike

MrCrabtree
Rudd

Post by MrCrabtree »

Oops sorry Nobby, just remembered you had already mentioned the landing net.
Must be old age?

Mike

Return to “Jack Hargreaves”