A young Jack

This forum belongs to Jack Hargreaves.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

A young Jack

Post by Rutland Rod »

A visit to my in laws found me looking through a copy of the 'Peckham Society News' ( Del and Rodney's country !) I came across this article which is interesting, it refers to the 'event' being shot by Pathe news, has anybody seen the film ? by coincidence it happened just 6 months before I was born nearby !
Tight lines Dave

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: A young Jack

Post by Harry H »

I've seen that on the Internet if I remember correctly he ends up breaking the rod :Hahaha:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Zipper
Roach

Post by Zipper »

Wow didn't really know Jack Hargreaves as a traditional fisherman but used to love him on TV in Out of Town. I remeber him once explaining that the Lurchers of today were not proper lurchers as they hunt on sight only, whereas lurchers hunt on sight and smell. Those that hunt on sight alone he called long dogs. I wasn't even interested in dogs but he was a fascinating man just to listen to. I shall have to buy some of his books!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I was surprised to see country-boy Jack doing this in South London...turns out he was born there! He only went 'country' when he stayed week-ends and holidays on a farm in Bedfordshire...sent there because he was so badly behaved!

An extraordinary life....I recommend his books, the biography and all his re-released DVDs. I spent the first 3 months of last year immersed in the lot...great stuff!

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

The biography was certainly an eye opener. I always loved to watch and listen to Jack as well as devour his written word. I'm glad I'd not read the Biography before I'd read his work. It somehow wouldn't have been the same.

I too had thought him having a long country upbringing. Yet another case of journalism painting a slightly distorted picture to suit the moment,

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have never seen that before thanks for sharing the article and also thanks for finding the Pathe video.. smashing. :Thumb: :Thumb:

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

I'm doing a quiz for my hunt in September and one of my questions is ' say what you will the countryside is still and Mother Nature wears her summer gown 'who is the broadcaster whose program!'Out of town' this music introduced, I will see who picks Jack ! Our average subscriber age is getting on so I'm hoping for plenty of correct answers !

Another of my questions is what water produced Dick Walkers and Chris Yates record Carp ! we have a few anglers amongst us so I'm hoping someone will say Redmire !

Tight lines
Dave

Kevskyb
Stickleback

Post by Kevskyb »

Redmire

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Fox duly shot... :Hat:
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Jack Hargreaves”