Best one?

The Speedia Reels forum.
SharkBoy
Perch

Best one?

Post by SharkBoy »

Is there a definitive wide drum for close in stalking ?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Best one?

Post by Dave Burr »

No. Close in you can get away with pretty much anything..... as long as the spool will take the pressure of the fish you target. I've used reels from an expensive Chris Lythe to a cheap as chips 'Scout' that cost me a fiver, they all work.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

You can't go wrong with a speedia, a real workhorse

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

If it's for carp stalking you can't go wrong with a Grice and Young Jecta, a very good quality reel, built like a tank and still relatively cheap to buy.

Wal.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Take a look at the TFG Classic if you wish to entertain a new reel, very reasonable price for a good quality reel. :Hat:
A picture of one of mine from a few years back, it still looks and performs just as good to this day....

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:44 pm If it's for carp stalking you can't go wrong with a Grice and Young Jecta, a very good quality reel, built like a tank and still relatively cheap to buy.

Wal.
Couldn't agree more, I have two. :cheers:

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Chapman Angling are selling a ''Wensum'' 4 inch diameter wide drum pin for £30. I've just bought two and they are brilliant. Don't know if you are after a brand new one though.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Since you posted this in "Speedia" maybe it's just opinions of Speedias you are after?

They are pretty much all the same, but wide drums are commanding a high price these days. The " Deluxe" with a three stage check-spring pre-tensioner often fetches £130 now!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I found that the pressure I put on the spool's rim by my thumb is immense and possibly putting the spindle out of alignment. So a not expensive reel for me - although I sometimes use an already slightly malformed Allcock's Popular.

A Grice and Young with the ratchet & drag could be ideal - forget which model that is.

I have recently acquired an early wide drum Speedia - runs beautifully so only used for trotting!

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Mick wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:26 pm Chapman Angling are selling a ''Wensum'' 4 inch diameter wide drum pin for £30. I've just bought two and they are brilliant. Don't know if you are after a brand new one though.
Went over for a look at the Wensum, certainly some price to beat. Looks like a Marco Cortesi variant type :tea:
niceroach

Return to “Speedia Reels”