A nice old Speedia

The Speedia Reels forum.
Crucian
Eel

A nice old Speedia

Post by Crucian »

A nice old Speedia which recently joined my collection.
Anyone know the collective noun for Speedia's ? a 'Wobble', a 'Spinney' or a 'Charm' perhaps...no, that's Goldfinches.
Photographed with another Speedia for comparison, the older reel is on the left. Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Spins really well, as you would expect, but unusually for a Speedia, no wobble.

Late 40's, early 50's ?

Keston
Tench

Re: A nice old Speedia

Post by Keston »

That's lovely, the early speedias feel so nice .
I have an early pill box one dated 1951 but that one has riveted handles . I think from past threads yours might predate mine.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

The one on the left is indeed an early model? lovely handles screw fitting. I had one with similar handles but smooth paint front and back with the Speedia details in white lettering. I have seen this model with a chrome foot and a brass foot, not sure if the brass was painted black originally? If you get a good Speedia you should keep it, sadly I sold mine!
Last edited by Lea Dweller on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Crucian wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:15 pm Anyone know the collective noun for Speedia's ?
The collective noun most commonly used by my wife to describe my fishing tackle is a clutter :Chuckle:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Lovely old reel, the first from that period I have seen in black...and crackle finish paint at that! Just when these came from I have no idea...Forties I suppose, as my 1951 reel is so dissimilar........might these even be pre-War?? Who knows.........? It's in exceptionally good nick.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Thanks chaps, I must admit I'm chuffed to bits with this reel.
Pre-war eh Nobby? It would be nice to know when she was made, but I guess we never will...
She's now cleaned, oiled and loaded with Maxima and will be coming fishing with me this summer.
If anyone else has an early Speedia, some pictures would be appreciated, thanks in anticipation.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

They look great Paul, I like the double ventilated models, my 2 both have the solid spool backplates

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

A pair of speedia would be speedia' and more than two would be a greedy swine, because you'd have many when I have none. :Chuckle:
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

A lovely looking reel Paul, that spindle looks like new, enjoy my friend :Hat:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I have these images, Paul......for comparison.

The reel on the left used to belong to one of our members and is similar to yours, I think.....bar the paint finish. The cork arbours were added by me, ....two layers of 1/8th. cork sheet and worked quite well. What struck me, and isn't really captured by the pictures, was the high build quality of the early reel...it's not that the later reels are poor, more that the early one had an exceptionally high hand-built quality, which was clearly the work of a very skilled engineer and it was this that led me to speculate that he might have acquired those skills before WW2 and the middle reel would bef rom the early Fifties.

Return to “Speedia Reels”