Davebhoy

Re: Speedia maintenance?

Post by Davebhoy »

Thanks everyone!

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

If your end float screw is tight, remove it completely and clean the threads on the screw and the hole. This will prevent it seizing at some point in the future and causing you much trouble and strife.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Davebhoy

Post by Davebhoy »

thanks

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

There's lots of different oils used in centrepins with varying degrees of success. RBT's gun oil is a good case in point...it's a bit thick in consistency and formulated for corrosion resistance and anti-gumming properties. It's also pretty smelly...not that that particularly matters, but it's really designed to be almost totally removed before use, leaving just a trace to resist corrosion and provide lubrication....its forté is really in a storage situation.

Sewing machine oil is a popular choice too, designed to resist corrosion, not be sticky and to not dry out, ticking all those boxes, not surprisingly, it works pretty well.

An 'interesting' choice is trombone slide oil...it's so thin it leaves the reel rather noisy, but it does let it spin freely. Pity the poor musician...it tastes awful, ( well I had to try it , didn't I?)

Having tried them all I have no hesitation in recommending Garry's 'Pin Oil'

Having cleaned and reassembled a centrepin, I tend to 'run it in' watching the TV and spinning it in my hand for a half hour or so, stopping occasionally to clean and re-lubricate it. It will get quieter and quitter and when the oil finally comes out clean it is perfect.

You can polish certain components to speed this up, but it will get there by itself.

A small 'dimple' on top of the centre pin is not a bad thing. I used to spend a lot of time polishing these out, but my longest spinning reel has such a 'witness mark' dimple there and I think it proves that it does no harm .... and probably actually helps by providing a minute pool of oil for the spool to 'float' upon.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

I'm thinking always lay the reel handle side down when unused.Any oil will gravitate to the pinhead. The bush is pretty much self -lubricating assuming it's phosphor bronze?. Whatever, these guys are still putting in performances to die for after fifty years of not being particularly cared for? When they were mostly used I wonder what the opinion was then. I suspect a working class version of a snotty Match Aerail don't yer know...

Davebhoy

Post by Davebhoy »

Thanks nobby and beryl. I'm loving all this, reading all the collective expertise and putting it to use.

I'm waiting on some oil, I'll clean it and oil it, follow instructions and report back on the results, in case anyone is interested. I'm not at all handy as you can probably tell so we'll see what happens

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Davebhoy wrote:Thanks nobby and beryl. I'm loving all this, reading all the collective expertise and putting it to use.

I'm waiting on some oil, I'll clean it and oil it, follow instructions and report back on the results, in case anyone is interested. I'm not at all handy as you can probably tell so we'll see what happens
I'm no expert on Speedias but general engineering principles apply to the reel. I'm no expert on those either but did pick up some engineering common sense when restoring/tuning old Ducati motorbikes. I've only looked more than superficially at my first Speedia in recent days. This is because I use it on ponds; it needs to rotate easily and click, nothing more. With the horrible weather I wanted to avoid essential chores like cleaning the cooker or the kitchen floor so had a closer look....

It spins for forty seconds, its wobbly in the extreme and makes a dull thudding noices whilst doing so. I paid fifty posted for this ancient cripple. But, apart from giving the bloke who sold it to me a minus ( he posted a pic with that slowly down bit I really needed but wasn't on the reel) it's been a feel good reel. Like others have said, it's sort of correct no matter how bad it can be.

Davebhoy

Post by Davebhoy »

I cleaned it thoroughly with lighter fluid, took out the screw, cleaned the screw and the thread, screwed it back in and piled it with the Abu reel oil that turned up yesterday

I had a play with it this evening and its spinning for a minute and a half, without much adjustment or continued spinning. I'll have more of a play with it to try and get it spinning for longer but it's already a massive improvement

Unfortunately part of the ratchet fell out when I was cleaning it, I'll need to work out his it goes back in, although as I'm using it for trotting it's not essential

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think the ratchet can be essential when you are netting a fish....one tug on the line by the fish and you could have a birdsnest of go-home- now proportions.

The only bit that might fall out if incorrectly placed is the ratchet pawl, I think.....

There's an image here of how it should fit, just ignore the wooden adaption:

viewtopic.php?t=15517

NB the second image has the pawl turned sideways...it's correct in the first image.

Speedia pawls are capable of being turned over usually to make them perform correctly for left-hand wind.

Earlier reels are different...hand-made brass spring etc etc:

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr10 ... peedia.jpg

Davebhoy

Post by Davebhoy »

Thanks, sorted

Return to “Speedia Reels”