Speedia maintenance?

The Speedia Reels forum.
Davebhoy

Speedia maintenance?

Post by Davebhoy »

Hi

I picked up a speedia from eBay that was described as having a bit of wobble but nothing that stopped it spinning. I don't think it spins for more than 30 seconds, but of more concern, as I'm using it for stick fishing for barbel on a small shallow river is that it seems to take a fair amount to start turning. I could be completely wrong as I'm new to trotting with centrepins.

What maintenance could I give the reel to try and improve its performance?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Speedia maintenance?

Post by Nobby »

The first thing is to set the end play correctly. It's tricky on a Speedia as it has an unusual sized screw in the spool centreboss which can be damaged very easily as it is only made of brass. Turn the screw until it just touches the end of the centrepin...hard to feel if the screw is tight!....and then back it off again about an eight of a turn.

Setting it up with less end-float than that, as everybody always seems to do, will cause the slide that hold the spool in position to rub against the side of its slot on the centrepin.

Other than that it's a matter of cleaning everything fastidiously....even a single strand from a cotton-bud will make a noise and cause friction...and lubricating with a thin quality oil, like Garry Mill's Pin Oil.

As to how easy it should turn....well, when held flat in the palm of your hand the spool should try to align itself with magnetic north due to the few steel components in it. It doesn't usually do that without a bit of work, including polishing the tip of the centrepin and the bottom of the grub screw to a mirror finish.

When you get it to turn that easily it should spin for up to 2 minutes, possibly more. I have one that honestly spins for over 3 minutes but cannot for the life of me see why this particular reel should spin so long, even when examining it with a magnifying glass. Anything more than a minute will fish beautifully anyway.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

double post thingy

Davebhoy

Post by Davebhoy »

Thanks very much for such a detailed reply. I'll definitely give that a go

I bought some Abu reel oil from eBay, will that do?

Davebhoy

Post by Davebhoy »

Is the screw in the spool centreboss the small brass looking screw right n the middle of the silver thing in the middle of the front of the spool?

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I use gun oil for my pins....seems to work well
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Davebhoy wrote:Is the screw in the spool centreboss the small brass looking screw right n the middle of the silver thing in the middle of the front of the spool?
That's the one Dave ! Not sure about the Abu oil although I'm sure someone will know, personally I use sewing machine oil, nice and cheap and easily obtained. :Hat:

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I seen one on ebay the other week what was sold with no end float screw, make sure yours has one?

Davebhoy

Post by Davebhoy »

It definitely has a float screw, it's very tight though

I just adjusted it, quite difficult, but I'll clean and oil it and see where it gets me

Where should I be cleaning and oiling and how much oil?

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Clean the inside of the bushing with a cotton bud dipped in petrol, keep replacing the bud with a new one until it come out clean.
Clean the spindle also with a lint free cloth dipped in petrol. When its all bone dry just a couple of drops in the bush and one on the top of the spindle.
Give it a spin and if needed then adjust the float screw.

Return to “Speedia Reels”