Speedia replicas

The Speedia Reels forum.
Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Re: Speedia replicas

Post by Match Aerial »

I was thinking of a solid arbour?but retaining everything else. I think the reel is as near perfection as per the original.
TBO don't think there would be any problem moving them .
Narrow drum would be my choice avery time.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Now my choice would be wide :Hahaha:
Perhaps a width that fits in the middle.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

The other way would to produce the reel with say 3 extra line lays, that way in keeping with original

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

As solid arbour would be fine with me as it's an improvement and I'd be happy to go for wide or a middle width drum. Of course the obvious way to do this would be crowd funding using Kickstarter. From what I was told about the Barder pin I think we'd need to have a run of about 25 to make it viable.

So there's the question: who is interested enough commit and how much would they pay for such a reel?

The benefit of this over the Walker net parts project is that this is a final product and not just an incomplete kit of parts.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Beresford wrote:
MGs wrote:Trying to find an engineering company to do the work may be an issue. Although, not angling related, I contacted a considerable number of companies, to re-manufacture some classic car parts, which are no longer available. Most did not respond. Those that did wanted full blown CAD drawings and confirmed orders of several thousand parts. The reason being that the setting up and tooling costs would be high. With only 600 of said cars still on the road, it turned out to be an uneconomic proposition. The unit cost of something as complex as a reel are likely to be off putting to most.

When I looked into producing the parts for the Walker carp net I found an engineering company very willing to take on the work. They are happy to copy things so if they were given a Speedia to take apart they would work it all out. Or I can provide the digital artwork that is then taken onto their CAD system. When I started working on the Walker project there was a lot of interest but very little real commitment so I shelved taking it any further. However, I think it was Kingpin that made the short production run of Barder pins. I suggested a production cost and was informed that the actual price was a lot lower than I thought. In which case making TFF repro Speedias would be a very viable project.

The same company also make one off parts for classic cars using a traditional techniques when runs are very small. Or they have a full CAD system.

If anybody is really interested in this project who lives close to Kingpin perhaps they might go and speak to them? I'll a support the project and would order a reel. I guess we'd need to decide on which Speedia to reproduce.

I must admit, if Kingpin did produce the limited run of pins for Barder, the suggested selling price of £800 must have returned a VERY LARGE PROFIT !

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I think that's why he did it. I imagine he may have thought how does Barder Enterprises make a greater profit given that only two us can build the rods. The answer was brilliant. He designs a pin that doesn't take any of his rod building time to deliver. He orders the reels and knowing that most are already sold. He puts a price tag on it that is commensurate with any Barder product and I think he makes somewhere in the region of £15,000 pre tax profit. That is a good business man at work.

The buyers are happy with their premium quality limited edition reel that in time will go up in value, Barder makes profit as do Kingpin. Everyone's a winner.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

I personally think costing is going to be the biggest hurdle. Its a big leap to commit to a project without actually knowing the cost of a finished product. Will there be many interested in a replica of a reel that can be purchased for less than a £100.

Personally for me if the final cost is going to run into hundreds of pounds then there are much nicer pins on the market already.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

When I put the post up I was wondering if a new reel could be made at a cost comparable to a used reel . Speedias are functional reels which do a job very well in my opinion. You have to keep things in perspective or it will never get off the ground.
Last edited by Match Aerial on Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

May I be the first to put my name down for one please? On the proviso there not priced beyond my reach :Hat:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Personally I prefer a late 1950's original Speedia like the one I have, old reels with history.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Speedia Reels”