Sharpes Traditional Avon Advice

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
WoodBurnerMatt
Rudd

Sharpes Traditional Avon Advice

Post by WoodBurnerMatt »

Good Morning Gentlemen,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1229074482

I have seen this Avon rod on Ebay, any thoughts on it, I can't seem to find any info on them? Not sure about the cost of it, I am well aware that good rods cost good money but I still want to get "value" from them. I read recently a famous (but poor) angler said "I have so little money I can't afford to buy cheap tackle", I think many of us live by that!

Any help would be very much appreciated

Kind Regards
Woodburnermatt

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Sharpes Traditional Avon Advice

Post by Nobby »

That doesnt look like a cane rod...more like a fibreglass one, though I didn't know Sharpes ever made such a thing.

The bag looks like the more recent company of S&J Tackle, trading as Sharpes, that was in Ruislip Middlesex, though we recently discovered they are now trading in Uxbridge nearby and are up for sale. Most of us thought they's shut up shop years agop as the website links failed and the 'phone wasn't answered.

I'm not sure what a 'traditional avon' is doing at 10'6" either...a big river rod needs to be 12 foot more likely, unless it is a Walker Mark IV Avon with 6 inches added to it in which case it should be a two piece rod, not a three.

Very confusing.

OldFellah

Post by OldFellah »

I must agree with Nobby on this one. It looks like one the the later hollow glass rods and certainly not split cane.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I noticed this rod and thought it unusual to say the least. I can only concur with thoughts above. It's glass and I had no idea that Sharpes ever made any glass rods. If they did then this has rarity value but if I was after the sort of rod that this rod appears to be for use, rather than to squirrel away in a collection, then I'd have no hesitation in looking for a really good Hardy glass FJT. I doubt you'd have to pay much more than £100 for one.

This might be ultra rare and genuine but I'm struggling to get my head around the price.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I think there's an erroneous nought at the end of the price, I don't think any glass rod is worth anything like £350. You could get a one of their cane Avon's for half that and it would be a far better rod.

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Yes Weavers did do a bit of glass but towards the end were putting together a few carbon rods that were vere good but Steve Weaver tells me the blanks became to expensive so stopped making them.If you are looking for a good avon look out for an original Aberdeen Sharpes Avon they also made a carp version.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

It's interesting that you rarely see the Weaver's rod for sale second-hand. A friend of mine had their Avon, that had a 1/1 4lbs T/C and this example was a very nice rod. I didn't care much for the look of it but as a piece of cane I was very impressed. A perfect stalking rod for waters where there weren't bad snags around.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”