Sharpe "The JS Scottie"

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Chevin
Brown Trout

Re: Sharpe "The JS Scottie"

Post by Chevin »

Mine do, they are also stamped with a number 3 on the ferrulles
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Here are a few pics of mine, has anyone else got the copper whippings

"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

That's interesting, I'll have to check mine again for a number. Yes, copper is standard for just the handle side of the butt ring and for both ferrule whippings. I'm not sure they really worked as intended but they look nice. By that I mean I've never seen a silk ring whipping fail, although I have seen silk ferrule whippings crack.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Mine doesn't appear to have dots on the ferrules but the 9'3" has a '5' stamped on the bottom of the tip section

Whereas the 10' has an '8'

They have the copper whippings except the 10' has been altered and the rings on the butt section redone without it.

The 9'3"

The 10'

Comparing both

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Dave,

I can see the dots in your first two images and they still have the red paint in them!

I'm a bit of a Sharpes fan so love comparing their rods. I would dearly love to have the taper of their Carp and their 10' Salmon spinner measured. Their carp certainly isn't a MkIV taper, it feels lighter in the tip and I've always had a hunch…

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Beresford wrote:Dave,

I can see the dots in your first two images and they still have the red paint in them!
I really must put my glasses on :Hide: :Happy:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

:Chuckle:

So do the dots line up on both sections of both rods?

This does seem to confirm though that the red paint is a factory standard finish.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

They aren't so much 'dots' as 'dots' but yes, they do line up and are obviously standard issue.

I don't know what it is about these rods but they ooze confidence, I feel like they could stop a train never mind a carp. I can't wait to give my latest acquisition a proper test :Thumb:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Now that interests me as I mentioned before I'm certain that the tip of my Sharpes carp has been turned but factory rewhipped.

So these whopper stopper rods you chaps have, are they called the Sharpes Scottie 9' 3" on the rod, or are there different rods that come under that name that are also 9' 3"?

I have always been of the view that Sharpes rods were extremely well built and finished. I like their understated elegance.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I 'think' that Scottie was a trade-name and applied to the whole range offered by the original J.S.Sharpes of Aberdeen. The later, Ruislip Middlesex based firm may not have used Scottie on their later rods, though.

Trade names and brand names were a popular marketing ploy and almost de-riguer in the Fifties and Sixties.

So you'd have Edgar Sealey and Co. with their Octopus brand tackle, And the Millard brothers with their Milbro range.

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”