Sharpe "The JS Scottie"

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
MGs
Pike

Re: Sharpe "The JS Scottie"

Post by MGs »

Dave Burr wrote:If its like the one's I've missed out on at a couple of auctions then yes, it is a very nice carp rod. :Thumb:
Dave, did you get the one I PM'd you about? It went for £20.50, which seems like a bargain
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Interesting. I tipped Dave Burr off to a badly listed Scottie which he got for £20. Today there are 5 of these rods newly listed on the Bay, differing lengths, up for between £80 and £100
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I have to pay a debt of gratitude to MGs, he did indeed put me on to the Scottie and I did get it for a paltry £20.50. I collected the rod today so I have to add a couple of gallons to the cost but I do have a real bargain.

Its not the 10' Avon style rod I've been well outbid on at a couple of auctions but a 9'3" with B10 and 125 stamped on the butt. It has a heavy action 2 - 2.5 tc I'd have thought and is ideal for stalking those 30 pounders in the margins (I wish).

Being impregnated it feels rough because, I believe, they aren't varnished. My rod has had some fair old use but its as straight as an arrow and raring to go. The screw reel fit makes them better for heave ho work as well, no reels falling off at inopportune moments.

Thanks again to MGs, well done to SK and hopefully we can compare our stalking abilities with our little black dog rods :Thumb:

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Indeed sir....now things are warming up I think we should start to think about some gatherings.... :Thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Just bought a Sharpes Scottie 2 piece impregnated 10ft Spinning rod, hoping its similar to the MKIV. :Thumb:
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Just come back from collecting the 10ft, it was advertised as a spinning rod, looks close enough to a MKIV to me, did Sharpes ever copy the MKIV.

While talking to the seller he dropped into the conversation that he has a couple of B James Rods in the loft, a MKIV and an Avocet, he also has a net that belonged to BV that he bought at an auction 30 yrs ago and a rod that was given to him by Jack Hargreaves, he has taken my number just in case he wants to sell :Beg:
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Chevin,

Sharpes made 'The Carp' which is a copy of the Mk IV. I have a matched pair, there are photos of them on the forum. Search on 'Sharpes scottie carp' or 'Dating J.S Sharpe Scottie Rods'. In my opinion they are nicer than a B James, the action is crisp, steely, not so floppy and they stop carp with ease :-)

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I have a Sharpes Aberdeen built Carp, as SofaSurfer notes, the taper is different to the B. James. I think it's a bit lighter in the tip and I think that accounts for the crisper feeling. I want to get another one sometime. The tip has been turned over at some point on mine but I do wonder if the rod went back to Sharpes for this as the whippings match perfectly. I know it has been turned as the signature marks on the ferrules are now on opposite faces of the cane.

I've often wondered if Sharpes used one of their existing Salmon spinning blanks for the Carp rod but on balance I tend to think not.
Last edited by Beresford on Tue May 21, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Ah yes Chevin, was that the one in Farlington?, would have given you a race had my blooming blackberry worked - I was out fishing, and I blanked !!!! You got it at a good price, congratulations Sir !
Last edited by Mushy on Tue May 21, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Fishes
Mushy

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

It was the one in Farlington sir, 1 mile from me. I have just put this up against my MKIV and apart from a slight difference in the ring spacings I cant really see much in it. Same length, similar action and same handle. Unless ive got a dodgy B James :Hahaha:

H.T. Sheringham

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”