Sharpe "The JS Scottie"

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
WildCarpFisher.

Re: Sharpe "The JS Scottie"

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

That is so odd as I thought the copper whippings were a re-ferb, and as on the one in the picture one of my rings (the but ring) has copper and red?? Just like the one on Dave's how strange, spooky even?

Could they be twins parted at birth?

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Copper whipping is definitely factory standard, every single Sharpes rod I've seen ( I should think well over a hundred) has them. That's not to say of course that those on your rod haven't been redone.

Thanks Nobby for the info on Sharpes branding, I don't suppose you or anybody else has a mid to late 1960 Sharpes catalogue, I'd love to see one to be able to see at a glance which rods they did actually produce.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Sadly no....pretty rare things and they could answer so many questions. I'd love a B.James, a Sharpes and an Aspindale.

I've just been offered an Oliver's of Knebworth though and I'm very pleased about that!

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Corr, that sounds great. The very best Avon I've ever handled was an Olivers MkV whipped in straw – it was just an amazing piece of cane.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Beresford wrote:Now that interests me as I mentioned before I'm certain that the tip of my Sharpes carp has been turned but factory rewhipped.

So these whopper stopper rods you chaps have, are they called the Sharpes Scottie 9' 3" on the rod, or are there different rods that come under that name that are also 9' 3"?

I have always been of the view that Sharpes rods were extremely well built and finished. I like their understated elegance.

Mine has a transfer saying "The J.S.Sharpe" under which is 9' 3".

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Dave
I know test curves are funny old things but do you have an idea of how powerful your rod is. For example, like a MkIV S/U or just plain stronger than a MkIV?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

The ten footer has more bottom end grunt than a MkIV and is around 1.5lbs tc at a guess. Its certainly not as heavy as my S/U MkIV. Oddly, I thought the 9'3" was quite heavy but having used it alongside the s/u it does feel a tad lighter.

I don't really go in to testing test curves or getting over technical about my gear, most of it is down to how it feels in the hand and how I imagine it will feel when a fish is on. I alway feel that your standard MkIV (and I know there are many variants) is a little too soft in the butt for my liking (ooer missus) but the Sharpes ig not a 'C' shape through action and has a more progressive fighting curve.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Thank you.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Chevin wrote:Join the club...... did a count last night 10 cane rods :Hahaha:
Just checked and I have 10 cane rods as well but the answer to not becomming a hoarder is simple - more trips to the bankside and then it becomes self justifying.

WildCarpFisher.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

Respectfully I would suggest the 9'3'' is much more powerful than a S.U mk1v. I've put 12lb line on mine, and could easy see it taking 20lb. I would think it's near 3lb, just what I wanted for snags and heavy weed. Having said that it has a wonderful full curve under compression?

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”