Unusual Sharpes decal

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Unusual Sharpes decal

Post by Beresford »

I was looking at my Sharpes Avon (original Aberdeen built) today – it's a rod that I haven't used for a long time and in spite of thinking that I knew every facet of this rod I realised that the Scottie dog decal on this rod has a rectangular gold background behind it. I have never seen another Sharpes rod like this and wondered if this might indicate that had been restored and embellished in this possibly unique way. This rod also has a different lighter pattern tip ring to that usually seen on the Sharpes Avons. However, everything suggests that this rod is as originally built and there is no sign at all of restoration other than varnish over the logo to protect it since there is a little of one gold decal corner missing.

Any thoughts?

Some digging around on the forum…

viewtopic.php?t=22324

Mushy's Carp rod has the same gold decal as my Avon.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: Unusual Sharpes decal

Post by Bob Brookes »

I just had to check!
I currently have 2 X 9' 6" carp/spinners, a 9' 3" spinner, an 8' 0" spinner, a Carp and an Avon. All are Aberdeen made Sharpes and none have the gold background to the Scottie transfer.
I don't know the significance of the difference, possibly just an alternative supplier!
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Wasn't the Scottie name taken over...? Maybe its a decal from the new owners....????
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Thanks Bob I think you might be right.

Harry – yes – possible although I've been told that back-in-the-day the new owners of the Scottie brand had a huge supply of the original decals without the gold background. I'm now thinking there was a very brief window in Sharpes production when they used the gold label.

I must have seen hundreds and hundreds of Sharpes rods, either in the flesh or in images over several decades and as far as I've ever seen only two have the gold label. Could they have been prize rods, the first ones sold or perhaps the hundredth made? I'd love to know.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”