Sharpe's coarse and spinning rods

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Bob Brookes
Zander

Sharpe's coarse and spinning rods

Post by Bob Brookes »

Sirs,

As you are no doubt aware from my previous posts I am a fan of rods from this maker, specifically Aberdeen made impregnated ones. I am the proud owner, and user, of 10ft Carp and Avon versions. I also use a pair of beefy 9ft 3in versions, one of which was described as a Carp/Spinning rod. :fishing1:

My questions are:-
1) What other coarse/spinning rods were made by Sharpe's of Aberdeen? I believe there may have been a shorter, less powerful spinning rod.

2) Does anyone have a catalogue showing the range.

Thanking you in anticipation, :Thumb:

Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

CrayCane
Chub

Re: Sharpe's coarse and spinning rods

Post by CrayCane »

I've seen taper details of a Sharpes Belmont 7 foot Spinning rod but never come across one.

http://www.hexrod.net/Tapers/drtapers/S ... _84_0.html

Pete

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Bob, here's a photo from my 1965 catalogue showing the impregnated spinning, carp and avon rods of the time.
They had joined the Farlow group in 1964 which also included Milwards and Walker Bampton. There is no mention in the catalogue but I would think their other coarse rods would have been Milwards.

Wal.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Thanks for the information Wal and Pete. At least I will only looking out for 2 new rods!
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I seem to have the 8ft version as described above, a Sharpe's of Aberdeen salmon spinning rod. Part of the name has been rubbed off leaving J S S ----! Multiplier type handle and can cast 2oz easily!

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I believe they did a number of Salmon spinning rods aside from the 9' 3" J. S Sharp and the 8' version. I think they did a couple of longer spinning rods of 9' 6" and 10' and they are quite different, one being trout rod and the other a salmon rod. I've not seen these for myself but seem to recall reading about them on-line. I used to see lots of Sharps rods for sale but far fewer now.

I have always believed that the carp rod taper was taken from one of their spinning rods. I'm having my "Carp" restored this winter and I'll ask if the taper can be measured. I'm interested in comparing it to the Walker MkIV taper.

If anybody is interested Barry Grantham's website is now listing Scottie Impregnated cane rods. You can by a blank for £340 or £900 for the finished rod.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Strange that the Avon was nearly £4 cheaper than the Carp with the same spec fittings.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I spoke to Barry last Sunday and he said he now owns the Scottie name and trademark, his impregnation process is slightly different inasmuch as one of the original ingredients of the impregnation is now illegal, so the recipe has been modified to include a legal ingredient
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I have 2 Sharpe's Scottie rods, one is an 8' 3" and the other is 9' 4"... both are powerful rods (particularly the 9' 4") and I use them for carp stalking... I'd say that they are both more powerful than my MkIV Carp copy (although it is getting a bit baggy these days) both have had the reel fitting changed I think as the 9' has sliding bands and the 8' has a sort of sleeved fitting...

both are lovely to use...!
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

I have a 10ft sharps rod with aluminium screw reel seat, I have never seen another of the same length all the other rods I have seen are 9' 3", it does not have carp or avon on the rod only the scottie dog and impregnated 10'.

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”