Scottie???

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Ralf

Scottie???

Post by Ralf » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi, I'm very glad to find a place where I can ask for a rod I've bought in sweden some days ago. This is my first splitcane but I go fishing with flies since a couple of years in the little rivers around my hometown. I Found the rod in a little antik shop in Eksjö. It is a sharpe aberdeen with the number 4.5.177 with a Hardy Marquis "The princess". The rod is also lettered with Scottie #5-6 and a lettering with "...ight" which is unfortunately not completely. I'm interested in the age of the rod. Maybe, if someone is possible to say, the price in a good condition.
Best greetings from Münster in Westfalen/Germany!
Ralf

Beresford
Zander

Re: Scottie???

Post by Beresford » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:54 pm

Hello Ralf, welcome to the forum. A nice rod and reel combination you have.

May 1974 and the 177th rod made that month.

I have a rod numbered 77 172. No dots, I'm taking that as July 1977 and the 172nd rod made that month.

The Missing lettering may be: Featherlight
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi Ralf! Welcome to the forum. :Hat: That is a nice rod, I love Scottie rods. As for value, if it's in fairly good condition I'd say it's worth around £70. Some of these rods come up on ebay with higher 'buy it now' prices like £125-£250, BUT when these rods are left to run as an auction they usually make between £60-70 but I've seen them go for a lot cheaper... ...you should fish with the rod and reel, they're a great combination. If you do take them fishing be sure to take some pictures and show us on this forum, I for one would love to see them! :cheers: :cheers:

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:57 pm

It could also be an eighty eight. If it is then it will measure approximately 2.64 metres and the tip section sill be longer than the butt.

See here: viewtopic.php?t=5788
Quot homines, tot sententiae. (And now we are 6!)

Ralf

Post by Ralf » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:15 pm

Hi, thanks al lot for your answers! I'm surpised about your openess and knowledge. There are so many different rods! It needs more than a life to find an overview! It needs a forum like this with so many interested people! I will show a photo after going fishing next time in little rivers (Lenne, Alme).
Tight lines, Ralf

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”