J.S.Sharpe Carp

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Re: J.S.Sharpe Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Make sure you warm the calipers first Bob :Chuckle:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Sorry I meant in size. Confusion reigns…

I'd love to know the taper compared to the MkIVs. I'd say in character the Carp feels quite different to a MkIV Carp built to Walkers taper, it's a better rod than the Sharpes Avon in my honest opinion. The latter, or at least my example of it feels a bit dead, smooth but a bit lack lustre. The best MkIV Avons I've waggled are the Hardy or Olivers versions. The Sharpes Carp is a lovely rod and I prefer it for fighting fish over a usual MkIV but not as good as Walkers for flicking out light baits.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think the trouble with B.James Mark IVs is the sheer number they produced. When Bob Southwell refused their request to make built cane for them exclusively they started making it all themselves ( incidentally they carried on making them until at least 1970 when Cliff Glenton was running their old Ealing shop and selling their old cane range still). I can only presume that to fill the ever-increasing number of orders for the Walker designed rods they had to take on extra staff. Certainly the quality of the cane varies considerably and some examples are not as good 'feel-wise' as others.

The best Mark IV I ever felt was actually made by Bob Kirk in Hampton Wick, there was a tautness about the tip that you just knew would flick a bait out superbly on an underarm cast. It wasn't soft...it wasn't stiff...it was just alive.

I'd dearly like to try a Sharpes Impregnated Carp, my limited experience of their coarse rods makes me think it might be something special too.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Hi Bob,

Only just seen this post so thought you may be interested in seeing a picture of one of the Sharpes of Aberdeen Impregnated carp rods John Carver used during his years at Redmire (when the weed wasn't too bad, preferring to use more modern rods then). He still uses them to this day when the situation allows.

You can see clearly the un-lined butt guide.

You will see some more of his old Redmire gear here http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... lit=carver including his net that he netted Chris Yates's record fish 'The Old 38' or as Chris re-christened it 'The Bishop'.

The tale I told on that day was so strange and I still regret not asking the surprise visitor if I could have taken her picture.

We used to sell quite a few of the Sharpes Impregnated trout and salmon rods at the shop and the Diamite Guides were used on the Salmon rods as butt guides. These guides were usually used on salt water boat rods so are extremely robust and I believe still available. They certainly were 10 years ago when I left the shop.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Hi Shaun,
Thanks for that, it is the final proof to me that mine is indeed not a 'wrong un'.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Bob – yours is certainly a good un! Have you had chance to measure the taper?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Beresford wrote:Bob – yours is certainly a good un! Have you had chance to measure the taper?
Not measured them yet but I plan to. I have found my old fashioned vernier callipers and micrometer. None of those modern dial or digital jobbies, so I shall need to get the old eyes attuned!

I plan to measure the Sharpes' Avon and Carp together with a late model B.James, Donut England carp. I shall start the from the same distance from the butt button :laugh1: then every 6".
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Invicta

Post by Invicta »

I bought one in the 1980's and the tip plus the butt are lined.

In their 1970 catalogue they describe it as having Large agate-type butt and end rings.
I will try and attach a scan for you. Its just text on the bottom of the page.

Best carp rod ever, always wished I had bought the Avon too.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

TemeLAD wrote:Make sure you warm the calipers first Bob :Chuckle:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Kingfisher wrote:
TemeLAD wrote:Make sure you warm the calipers first Bob :Chuckle:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
My callipers were brought up to temperature and the rods were measured. The results have been listed in the appropriate file.

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”